Problems with install re. Mariadb

Ah sorry about that.

I used the version of the script from my PR, that is in development.

Thanks, I will try that one.

Hi Ilia. Will that work for me too?

Nobody knows if it’ll work for anyone experiencing this problem or any other installing on Alma. What Ilia linked is the version we’re currently testing with, and it works for us
but, the problems y’all are discussing are still not understood or reproduced by me or Ilia.

1 Like

No one knows, not even me. :slightly_smiling_face: Let’s hope it will!

Give it a try.

Thanks I shall.

I’ve only ever used github with a link to the file that I’ve needed to unload. Are you able to provide this please?

Thanks

Go to link from Ilia, got to Files Changed, on the right hand side click the 3 dots, select view file. I used the raw to copy and paste with putty into a file I created with nano. Script works for me this time.

Steve

You can wget or curl the raw link directly to the server. No need to copy/past.

Yeah, I worked that out later.

Great. Thanks to all of you. I’ll try that later.

Could one of you just confirm that I get a clean install of Alma 8.5, then use that script, then update Alma? Not install Alma, then update it and then install VM. Sorry if that seems a little pedantic but I just want to ensure that I do this the correct way so our brains don’t explode with unnecessary complexity.

Thanks again folks.

I always update the OS before running the script. But otherwise all good to go.

Steve

Just some clean-install on Vultr experiences

Notes on installing VirtualMin on Vultr Rocky Linux 8.5
The Rocky Linux version upgraded itself to 8.6 during installation.
Attempted ‘dnf update’ but nothing found.
VirtualMin installed and set up without incident and operated normally.
(Step 19/23 which throws an error about Webalizer could be removed.)

Notes on installing VirtualMin on Vultr Alma Linux 8.5
The Alma Linux version upgraded itself to 8.6 during installation.
Attempted ‘dnf update’ but nothing found.
VirtualMin installed OK but crashed during the Post-Installation Wizard with “Failed to restart Webmin server!”
Rebooting the server allowed the Wizard to continue through to “MariaDB database size” where the same error as others have reported occured:
“” Warning! MariaDB could not be started with the new configuration :
sh: /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld: No such file or directory.
The old configuration has been restored. “”
At this point the Wizard froze and the system was again rebooted.
The Wizard started from the beginning and the MySQL error was repeated with the Wizard locked.

Note: Also tried loading a custom ISO of Alma Linux 9.0 but it died at “Downloading Virtualmin 7 release package”

Thanks to all for a great project.

This is what I have done on my cloud server using Ilia's script. Can also try on my dedi server too.

1.  Hetzner Cloud server

2. 2 vCPU, 4G ram and 40G disk space

3. Install AlmaLinux-8.5-x86_64-boot.iso through rescue system

4. Minimal install with nothing else included

5. Installed with no errors and rebooted

6. No dnf update run but had to install wget

7. Downloaded Ilia's script to install VM

8. Run VM install script
9. "Installing dependencies and system packages". Is this doing an update to Alma 8.6?

10. This appeared: "[7/23] Configuring MySQL".

Wouldn’t let me put in all the steps so this is the second half of what I did.

1. Message:
    The filesystem / could not be remounted with quotas enabled.
    You will need to reboot your system to enable quotas.

1. Mesaage that installation complete, everything showed tick in a green box.

2. Due to message at 11, rebooted.

3. Ran dnf update. Nothing to do.

4. https://IP:10000 after usual security warning, opens at login page. Login as root.

5. Wizard completes with no errors.

6. Checking config gives this message: "Webalizer does not appear to be installed on your system, or has not yet been set up properly in Webmin’s Webalizer Logfile Analysis module. If your system does not use Webalizer, it should be disabled in Virtualmin’s module configuration page.

7. Switch off Webalizor in module config page and sent to page called Error with message: Failed to save enabled features : MariaDB does not appear to be installed and running on your system, or has not yet been set up properly in Webmin’s MariaDB Database module. If your system does not use MariaDB, it should be disabled in Virtualmin’s module configuration page." so same message.

2. Rerunning recheck config page gives same error.

Nobody has made any claim about Alma 9 working or being expected to work.

Just for additional info I have a dedi server running that was working on Alma 8.5 and then happily installed Virtualmin 7.1 (which I think is the development version) with no errors. I have since updated it to 8.6 and on rechecking config there are no errors with Mariadb nor any suggestions of MySQL.

This pretty much confirms that for some reason we’re detecting Alma 8.6 wrong (and yes, Ilia added a system update to the install
we used to do that in the past, then it went away because it caused so many problems and could be so slow, but it’s reasonable to expect an up to date system
so we should handle it gracefully
I don’t know why Webmin is detecting it as the wrong OS, though).

Are there any logs from the cloud server or the dedi server that I can give you to help with the process?