Problems relating to updating webmin to 2.200 and webmin-virtual-server to 7.20.1.gpl-1

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Ubuntu Linux 22.04.4
Webmin version 2.200

Using Webmin and Virtualmin in the last years, I became a big fan of them.
I ran into those two problems today:

When doing this specific update (I loaded my machine from a backup, so the original problem might been caused only by the last software updates):
of webmin from 2.111 to 2.200
of virtualmin from 7.10.0 to 7.20.1
which updated also the Authetic Theme (original was 21.10)
Those happened:

1. I lost the sudo rights to the user that I used to manage webmin with, and to any other user in the sudo group, and could only use root for sudo through the webmin terminal.
  2. I had a memory leak that I could not trace to any source. Top memory user was /usr/share/webmin/authentic-theme/stats.pl but I’ve seen this before, so I’m not sure it is the culprit.

Thank you for any thought.

There is a fix for the sudo problem just search the forum for it. As for the memory leak you need to do more research to identify the culprit. I guess you installed the virtualmin module over webmin if you had installed using the virtualmin install script you would not be seeing the error

Thank you.
I used the package updates module in webmin. Should I have installed those updates manually in a specific order?
I’ll be grateful for a link to the sudo fix.
I’m quite sure the memory leak originated with those webmin, virtualmin and theme updates, as I installed all the available updates separately and without those specific updates the leak seem to be gone. I’ll be grateful for any lead how to research it further.

Try here it covers most of it

If you had use the virtualmin install script you would be using different repositories so the error would have not appeared in the first place, but it appears you used the package manager to install webmin and added the virtualmin module afterwards

We will fix those issues in Webmin 2.201 later today.

Thanks for the help so far. Regarding the memory leak, I think it is related to the last Authentic Theme change “Add new way of collecting server stats”, as authentic-theme/stats.pl is slowly occupying more and more memory on my system.

ID Owner Size Command
26757 root 86.62 MiB /usr/bin/perl /usr/share/webmin/authentic-theme/stats.pl 555

Can you install latest devel version and give it a fresh try. After installing latest devel version you would have to restart Webmin manually and fully refresh browser’s page.

Wait, actually using 80-90 MiB of RAM is fine for this type of forked process, I believe.

This instance memory use did get smaller now… I don’t know what filled up my virtual memory, so I’ll wait and see if someone else run into this problem.