Problem after changing the location of home

I just installed virtualmin on a server that had previously been running Plesk. It seemed to be creating new virtual servers just fine until I realized it was putting all the accounts in /home/username

My server is partitioned with very little space in /home and LOTS of space in /var so I created /var/home and told virtualmin to use that for the homes.

Now I get this error when I do a recheck-config

The status of your system is being checked to ensure that all enabled features are available, that the mail server is properly configured, and that quotas are active …

BIND DNS server is installed, and the system is configured to use it.

Mail server Qmail is installed and configured.

The Suexec command on your system is configured to only run scripts under /home, but the Virtualmin base directory is /var/home. CGI and PHP scripts run as domain owners will not be executed.

… your system is not ready for use by Virtualmin.

I suppose I could remove /home and recreate a symbolic link to /var/home if that would work but I figured I better ask before trying it.

I think there is a trick I can do with mount to make it use that other file system with all the space…

Anybody got any ideas?

Sorry, I’m not sure if any of those tricks will work, off the top of my head :slight_smile:

You could certainly try making a symlink and seeing if that satisfies the suexec requirements.

Another idea is that if you’re using Debian 5 or Ubuntu 10.04, you can edit “/etc/apache2/suexec/www-data”, and update the path used for suexec in there.

-Eric

I solved the problem. I wanted home to be in /var/home, it wanted it to be in /home.

So, I moved everything from /home to /var/home then…

mount --bind /var/home /home

And Virtualmin is HAPPY!!!

Then in /etc/fstab

/var/home /home none rw,bind 0 0

And it even works after reboot.