Preferred Method to install packages for Virtual Server

Hi,
I’m using Virtualmin GPL.
I want to install ownCloud on my virtual server for which I don’t have an install script. Still I want to install ownCloud to /home/myvirtualserver/public_html or /home/myvirtualserver and not to my root directory. What is the preferred way in Virtualmin to achieve this?

Best regards,
Philipp

Howdy,

It’s no problem to install ownCloud in Virtualmin GPL… however, since there isn’t an Install Script, you’d just need to install it manually.

My suggestion would be to follow the instructions for “manual installation”, available here:

https://doc.owncloud.org/server/8.0/admin_manual/installation/source_installation.html

That would allow you to install the ownCloud source into "/home/myvirtualserver/public_html ".

-Eric

Hi Eric, thank you very much for your answer.
In fact I was asking about a general approach to install packages automatically to a specific location. But it doesn’t matter any more since ownCloud has its built-in update mechanism which has been the reason why I wanted to install it via package manager in the first place.

Alias /owncloud "/var/www/owncloud/" Options +FollowSymlinks AllowOverride All Dav off SetEnv HOME /var/www/owncloud SetEnv HTTP_HOME /var/www/owncloud The installation manual wants me to add those lines to the /etc/apache2/sites-available folder. I wondered whether this is the preferred solution for virtualMin virtual servers. Should I place the owncloud.conf file right next to myVirtualServer.conf or should I add this content to myVirtualServer.conf ?

Howdy,

On a Virtualmin system, my recommendation is to install all your apps somewhere under /home, rather than under /var.

The suexec binary used to run PHP apps is setup to use /home, so you could run into problems using another location.

However, it’s no problem to add the above config to an existing Virtual Server… that would probably be my suggestion.

-Eric