Postfix vs. Sendmail in Newer Linux OS

Hi and thanks for a good product introduction.
I will be happy to see when it matures.

OK, I am frustrated over all the drooling here about Postfix.
This may have been well and good 5 years ago, but you are leaving a lot of information out of the equation.

Many new users may have either setup a new server, transferred a server to a new VPS and wanting to try Webmin/Usermin because of all the crap that cPanel puts into server internal code, or may be upgrading to new OS.

In my case, I previously had cPanel on centOS 5/6, moved to a new VPS with centOS 8, and transferred all of my previous domains into Virtualmin.
For the most part, some of the domains came to life, minus the good stuff like SSI, SSL, and PHP. BTW, there is no support for anything greater than PHP 5.

Some observations:
First, I cannot use your clumsy CLI install.sh script. It wants to install LAMP products, which bricks my server and is NOT supported in centOS 8. You must install packages separately. Maybe if someone invests a little more time with menu options or a check list in a GUI config function, then it might work for most users. It’s not like there is glorious documentation to assist anyone outside of your development lab when using install.sh and all of the possible arguments.

I know that Postfix is the default mail program here, but I use Sendmail in about 99% of all of my Linux work. Sendmail JUST WORKS and it seems to work well in my new environment also with very little changes. I cannot get Postfix to work no matter what I do and I would like to remove its existence from my server, IF ONLY VM WOULD LET ME. My AWstats which I have used for over 15 years is now bricked.
There are no options for Webalizer either.
The first rule of a good UI is to require as little manual intervention/coding as possible. I find with this product, I have to do even more.

Also, I am not familiar with all of these scripts wanting more confs, like mapping files(?)
Should VM be intuitive to help you set these up? (if they are required, and with real life examples)

In Summary, if I am going to purchase the Pro license, this application will have to be a lot more user friendly and do most of the heavy lifting for setting up packages and misc files such as mappings and getting a mail program working. And VM needs to stop claiming territorial jurisdiction over packages that should be installed in their OS RPM defined default directories and folders. Whenever you look for documentation on a product, they always use the default installation folders for each OS. It would also be very nice if there was a bunch of skins (themes) for this application. You can tell how well accepted an application is by the number of themes available for it.
Also, why is it all the YouTube videos show pretty themes that are not available?

As for the main thing I like about this product is that it doesn’t aggressively interfere with httpd.conf. I can customize it however I like.

Please don’t take my constructive criticism badly. I’m a Software Integration Engineer by trade and a lot harder than most of what I expect from a UI. It’s my job to drive the client team nuts at work by the obvious things they overlook.

Thanks and I am looking for continuing developments,
john

Welcome to the community @PackCat. I acknowledge but will not comment on your desire to await the maturity of Webmin / Virtualmin and / or Postfix. Moving on, I can confirm that Virtualmin can cater to the requirements of users who set up servers afresh and even those who are migrating over from Cpanel and such.

In your case you were unable to migrate successfully from Cpanel on centOS 5/6 to Virtualmin on centOS 8. This is unfortunate as many Virtualmin users have been able to do this complete with the ‘good stuff like SSI, SSL, and PHP’.

You also state that ‘there is no support for anything greater than PHP 5’ in Virtualmin. I am happy to point out that most Virtualmin admins have configured their system to let their users select any version from PHP 5 through 7 with the option of using one of the process managers or even none at all.

The ‘clumsy’ install.sh script is, it may have escaped your observation, quite talented. It can be called with no command line parameters to carry out a standard LAMP install or with certain parameters to do a LEMP install. Additionally there are other parameters which can be be applied to this deceptively clumsy script to optimize the installation for low memory systems, an option you should try to avoid ‘bricking’ your server. Alas, there is no GUI for install.sh but that does not mean there will never be one. You could consider making one yourself, @PackCat, given that you are a Software Integration Engineer.

You are a Sendmail fanboy, that much is clear. Virtualmin uses Postfix by default. While ‘there isn’t glorious documentation to assist anyone outside of Virtualmin’s development lab’, I and other Virtualmin users use a search engine called Google to help find documentation and discussions. See sendmail or postfix smtp on virtual servers clarifications | Virtualmin for an example of a possible way to get Sendmail to work with Virtualmin. Oh, BTW, Postfix also ‘just works’ for many of us.

On this we can agree completely.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.