postfix smtp server does not set the headers for HTML mail from php

Hello,

Whenever our php app sends emails with proper html headers, the headers don’t seem to be transmitted properly and all email is treated as text.

Here’s the BODY of a test email my sent from our php app:

Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1 X-Mailer: PHP/5.2.4-2ubuntu5.10 Message-Id: <20100428232815.85BDB3E001@**********************> Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 16:28:15 -0700 (PDT)

Test Email

Sender: System LVSYS
Recipient: **********************

See? Outlook is showing the headers in the body of the email…

Note: the PHP code in question is not faulty. There’s no extra newline that’s misplaced. and to prevent diverging the discussion, here’s what we’ve used to reproduce the bug:

<?php // --- CONFIG PARAMETERS --- // // $email_recipient = "*****@lvsys.com"; $email_sender = "System LVSYS"; $email_return_to = "*****@lvsys.com"; $email_content_type = "text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"; $email_client = "PHP/" . phpversion(); // // ------------------------- //

// — DEFINE HEADERS — //
//
$email_header = "From: " . $email_sender . “\r\n”;
$email_header .= "Reply-To: " . $email_return_to . “\r\n”;
$email_header .= "Return-Path: " . $email_return_to . “\r\n”;
$email_header .= "Content-type: " . $email_content_type . “\r\n”;
$email_header .= "X-Mailer: " . $email_client . “\r\n”;
//
// ---------------------- //

// — SUBJECT AND CONTENTS — //
//
$email_subject = “Test email subject”;
$email_contents = “”;
$email_contents .= “

Test Email

”;
$email_contents .= "
Sender: " . $email_sender;
$email_contents .= "
Recipient: " . $email_recipient;
$email_contents .= “”;
//
// ---------------------------- //

$email_result = mail($email_recipient, $email_subject, $email_contents, $email_header);
if ($email_result) echo “Email has been sent!”;
else echo “Email has failed!”;
?>

NOTE: the extra stars (*) in both snippets are here to anonymize our data for this forum.

What do I need to do to get the postfix smtp server to handle those headers properly?

Thanks for any help

MD

I did a telnet to port 25 and sent a manual HTML email and it worked… Maybe the PHP mail function is broken on my ubuntu 8.04 LTS installation…

Anyone had this issue before?