Postfix configuration for SASL SMTP authentication

Hi,

In these notes I will share, what I learned in getting SASL SMTP authentication to work on a Debian Lenny server with Virtualmin GPL. This is probably quite obvious to experienced Postfix users - it wasn’t so obvious to me when I expected to just configure it through the Webmin/Virtualmin UI alone, without having to fix the config files manually.

Purpose: Allow logins from any IP via SMTP authentication using TSL with clients such as Thunderbird for sending mail via SMTP.

Settings in Webmin -> Postfix Mail Server -> SMTP Authentication And Encryption:

SMTP relaying restrictions
[x] Allow connections from same network
Allow connections from this system
Reject clients with no reverse hostname
[x] Allow authenticated clients
Reject email to other domains
Allow only relay domains
Allow domains this system is a backup MX for

Enable SASL SMTP authentication? [x] Yes
Handle non-compliant SMTP clients? [x] Yes

SMTP security options
[x] Reject anonymous logins
Reject plain-text logins

SMTP relaying restrictions
[x] Allow connections from same network
Allow connections from this system
Reject clients with no reverse hostname
[x] Allow authenticated clients
Reject email to other domains
Allow only relay domains
Allow domains this system is a backup MX for

Delay clients with failed logins? [x] Yes
Enable TLS encryption? [x] Yes
TLS certificate file [x] /etc/ssl/certs/ssl-cert-snakeoil.pem
TLS private key file [x] /etc/ssl/private/ssl-cert-snakeoil.key
TLS certificate authority file [x] None

Supposedly these settings should work, but they will produce the following error:
Jun 6 17:38:04 mydomain postfix/smtpd[13534]: fatal: parameter "smtpd_recipient_restrictions": specify at least one working instance of: check_relay_domains, reject_unauth_destination, reject, defer or defer_if_permit
Jun 6 17:38:05 mydomain postfix/master[5703]: warning: process /usr/lib/postfix/smtpd pid 13534 exit status 1

Therefore, any attempted logins with an SMTP client like Thunderbird will fail.

The postfix configuration file main.cf did not have any of these options specified:
check_relay_domains, reject_unauth_destination, reject, defer or defer_if_permit

In /etc/postfix/main.cf we find:
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks permit_sasl_authenticated

Changing this to:
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks permit_sasl_authenticated reject

…will achieve the following:
permit_mynetworks: basically allows localhost like Usermin to send mail
permit_sasl_authenticated: permits users from any IP, as long as they are authenticated to send mail
reject: will reject all others and keep postfix happy (this needs to be the last option on the line)

Rememeber to reload the configuration: /etc/init.d/postfix reload

The added ‘reject’ at the end will not be parsed by Webmin and will end up in the wrong location, if you change any of the settings in ‘SMTP relaying restrictions’ in ‘SMTP Authentication And Encryption’. Alternatively the same settings can be accessed from Webmin -> Postfix Mail Server -> SMTP Server Options -> Restrictions on recipient addresses. I wonder, why the same settings appear in two places.

As there is probably more than one way to get this working and to combine these options, please let me know, if there are easier or better ways to set this up in Webmin/Virtualmin.

Christian

Links:
http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html<br><br>Post edited by: chriswayg, at: 2009/06/06 08:09

I had the same error. Adding your reject works, but I know that it isn’t best, initial solution.

I check postfix manual at
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_recipient_restrictions
Everything is clearly defined there.
Default parameters are:
permit_mynetworks, reject_unauth_destination
There is important annotation that:
IMPORTANT: If you change this parameter setting,
you must specify at least one of the following restrictions.
Otherwise Postfix will refuse to receive mail:

reject, defer, defer_if_permit, reject_unauth_destination</blockcode>

Yours parameters are:
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks permit_sasl_authenticated
As You can see You didn’t use one of restrictions from annotation.

I check initial config on my fresh Debian 5.0 Lenny + Virtulamin
SOLUTION:
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks permit_sasl_authenticated reject_unauth_destination

thanks for ‘reject_unauth_destination’, helped me!