Possible? Hybrid email via Virtualmin for G Suite (legacy free edition) refugees

Google has announced that all users of the G Suite “legacy free edition” would need to to upgrade to a paid Google Workspace subscription by July 1, 2022. Can Virtualmin be used as a component for a hybrid email solution where the G Suite admin moves some of the mailboxes of his domain to Google Workspace and hosts the other mailboxes of his domain on Virtualmin?

@calport,

That doesn’t seem like it would work since you setup “MX” records to tell senders where email is to be received… Hence you either specify Google’s servers or your own… How would you suggest such a model actually work since email routing is done at the domain level, not mailbox level.

Mail can be selectively relayed to another server using transport maps, and that can include making decisions based on the destination address. I’m not sure I’d want to try to make that work, but it can certainly be done.

This was the first search result I found that looks reasonable and includes an example of that: Use Postfix Transport Map & Relayhost Map For Flexible Email Delivery

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.