Possible bug when editing DNS records

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Debian 11
Webmin version 2.013
Virtualmin version 7.5

Since some time ago, it seems that unchecking the “Validate new records?” box does not do anything.
I am running a cluster of spamfilters in front of my Virtualmin box and thus the MX records do not actually point to the Virtualmin server even if the mail is hosted there.
When editing records manually, it doesn’t allow me to save the records anymore, even if I uncheck the box for validation.

This worked previously, so it seems some update broke it, though I don’t know when.

Thanks for any input.

Hi,

I would suggest you to change your DNS records directly in /var/lib/bind/[domain_name].hosts and than restart BIND.

This should not trigger Virtualmin check - but be aware that if Virtualmin wont check DNS records, than DNSSEC records may be broken, as Virtualmin changes the necessary records in DNSSEC (I guess it is doing Virtualmin and not BIND by himself, maybe Im wrong)

I would try that only if the domain is not DNSSEC secured.

Best regards,
Lukinno

I am working around it by adding an MX record pointing to the VM server, then deleting it afterwards, but it’s a bit clunky way to do it.
I assume lots of people have a filter infront of their servers, meaning that the MX record does not point to VM, so having this “block” the editing is slightly annoying.

I tried changing the theme also, thinking it might be a change in Authentic theme lately, but still no go, so my guess is it’s something in Webmin.

I checked the logs also, but they just show the same error as in the UI.
I know @Jamie did a lot of work relating to DNS stuff recently, so maybe you have any idea why unchecking the validation isn’t working as expected?

@toreskev are you sure you’re on Virtualmin 7.5? This bug used to exist, but we fixed it for the latest release …

Yeah, pretty sure mate:

root@srv1:~# dpkg -l | grep webmin-virtual
ii  webmin-virtual-server              7.5.gpl-1
all          Webmin module Virtualmin Virtual Servers

My mistake, the fix for this missed the cut for Virtualmin 7.5, but will be included in 7.6.

The patch can be seen here : Actually respect validate checkbox https://github.com/virtualmin/virt… · virtualmin/virtualmin-gpl@7065c19 · GitHub

Excellent, that worked like a charm! :slight_smile:
Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.