POP3 and SMTP login format - user@domain.com?

Hi

Is there an easy way for email users to be able to login using user@domain.com style usernames, rather than user.domain?

Thanks

Lewis

you set that in your default server template under mail for domain :slight_smile:

Can you tell me exactly where? I can’t seem to find it.

Thanks

System Settings—Server Templates—Default Settings—Mail For Domain—Format for usernames that include domain

Hi all,
Is there any other way to apply this if I’m using qmail?
I got an error when doing those steps.

"Failed to save server template : The Format for usernames that include domain is set to username@domain, which is only supported by Sendmail."

Dear friends,

I have folowed instructions on my CentOS server but no luck. After changing both Default templates or specific plan, mail still wasn’t working right.

One of my associates states he also never managed to run user@domain on centos.
I don’t use sendmail but Dovecot and have latest Virtualmin installed.

Anyone has idea what is for me to do? I have problem that I move lots of sites from windows server on linux, and I should contact all of those users to change their usernames … big problem.

Thank for your help.

After changing both Default templates or specific plan, mail still wasn't working right.

Have you looked at the maillog? “wasn’t working right” is not a useful problem report.

One of my associates states he also never managed to run user@domain on centos.

Irrelevant. I’m sure there are billions of people in the world who don’t know how to configure mail on CentOS. Doesn’t mean it can’t be done.

I don't use sendmail but Dovecot and have latest Virtualmin installed.

Dovecot is a POP3/IMAP server. Sendmail is an SMTP server. Not the same thing. Perhaps you have Postfix instead of Sendmail?

How did you install Virtualmin? Did you use our automated install script? It configures mail for you (though there is still a bit of configuration to saslauthd required to make user@domain.tld format mail work for sending).

Anyone has idea what is for me to do?

Read the “Troubleshooting Common Problems” guide, watch the maillog when things aren’t working right, and then come back with more questions (but we need specific questions about specific problems; we can’t do anything with, a report that is simply “it doesn’t work”).

Thank you. I’ll make better research and come back with new questions.

meanwhile, I’ve found some more posts and faq here about that user@domain and why it is not recomended … so I start thinking that it might be better changing all customer login usernames to dot version and follow your guides.

If you’ve got users that are accustomed to user@domain.tld style usernames, it’s fine to stick with it. Our workaround to the issue actually avoids all of the underlying technical problems (at the cost of some additional complexity).

You do have to configure saslauthd to accept that format, however, so it’s a little more work for you, as well.

Oh, and another thing, you can’t use user@domain.com names in an mbox spool deployment. You pretty much must use Maildir (this is the default in any system installed with install.sh and we recommend Maildir for everyone under all circumstances, but a few folks are still clinging to mbox, so I thought I’d mention it).

I just realized this is an ancient thread being revived as a zombie. Start a new topic if you want to continue the conversation–this one isn’t really relevant to your questions and your deployment, and it’s hard for me to keep up with all of the conversations we have going on to have some of them being confusing threads about multiple problems and subjects spanning months or years of discussion. One topic for every problem is the way to keep Joe happy and sane.