Pointing to website on different VPS

I have installed Virtualmin on a VPS and plan to mainly host email through this particular installation. I have an existing website on a different VPS and would like to point Virtualmin to that location to resolve that site.

I currently have the registrar pointing to the VPS that hosts that site. I assume I need to point the registrar to my Virtualmin VPS and then redirect the DNS in Virtualmin to the website’s VPS address. How do I do this? Is there a better way (other than just moving the site to the Virtualmin server)?

Thanks for any help,

Jeremy

Howdy,

To update where a domain points, you would need to update the DNS settings.

Where is the DNS for your domain currently hosted?

If it’s hosted at your registrar, you could just update the DNS with your registrar, if you wanted, as many of them provide DNS services.

Otherwise, you could change your domain at your registrar to use your Virtualmin server as a nameserver, setup your domain in Virtualmin, and then go into Server Configuration -> Edit DNS Records to change what IP addresses are used for your domain. They would default to using the IP of your Virtualmin server, you could instead change them to use the IP of your web server.

-Eric

Thanks Eric. I’ll sort through your reply and see what I can get to work. I’ll update when I can.

J.

When editing the DNS record, I get this error - This domain has email enabled, but none of the MX records 127.0.0.1 point to it. Either the MX records should be corrected, or the email feature disabled if mail is hosted externally.