Podman support?

SYSTEM INFORMATION
Host OS type and version: CentOS, Ubuntu and others
Guest OS type and version: any recent
Webmin version: latest
Cloudmin version: latest

Hi, I’m using Podman to run containers on Ubuntu and am very satisfied of it, much more than Docker.
What is especially cool is to get rid of this damn fat daemon ! :smiley:
Since it’s now the default container engine in Ubuntu and CentOS, could we improve Podman support in Cloudmin ?

So far I can add a host running podman with the proper alias to docker, but some functions does not seem to work correctly while they should since the CLI calls are the same.
I hope Cloudmin does not do any direct calls to the docker daemon ?

If we could get at least some hints from the devs it would be awesome

2 Likes

Any chance we get some info about podman support ?
Docker is messing up with our network configs and rootless support in podman is simple and easy

Hi,

We will need @Jamie comment on it.

By looking at the code I can see that Cloudmin is calling docker with regular Docker sub-commands, like docker ps,   docker images,   docker search,   docker rmi and etc.

Docker is messing up with our network configs and rootless support in podman is simple and easy

What exactly is getting broken? Do you have anything useful printed in any logs?

We’re re-evaluating the way we use Docker - it may end up moving out of Cloudmin into Virtualmin, since containers are more like apps than VMs.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.