Please show the Virtualmin and Webmin version after a successful install

Please show the Virtualmin and Webmin version after a successful install

Would be nice to see this even before the install.

I don’t think I understand where you want to see the version?

All of our packages have a version in the file name, when you install updates in the GUI the version will be shown before you install (and you can check the GUI for the version after it’s installed). How are you installing that you don’t see a version?

When you install Virtualmin in ssh for the first time the version does not show anywhere.

Only thing that shows is the installer version.

Ah. Hmm…I can’t think of a reason the information would matter? It always installs the latest version available in our repositories, and there’s no way to tell it to do otherwise.

We could show it at the end, I guess, but the installer doesn’t know what version is available to be installed until after it’s set up the software repositories, so it definitely can’t show the version before you install.

This would be great.

Not convinced that it does. I have installed version 7.7.3 (as prompted by the package updates) but it is still showing 7.7 on the dashboard !
However, on another box it is showing 7.7.3 :confused:

You have 7.7-3. There is no 7.7.3 (as we don’t yet use semantic versions).

See this thread for an explanation: Virtualmin version number - #2 by Joe

In short, these should have been new versions (7.8 and 7.9), but I couldn’t convince Ilia of that quickly, and the bugs these releases were meant to fix were annoying.

this maybe the confusion.

Tell it to @ilia. I told him people would be confused by a new version that doesn’t have a new version number. I wanted 7.8 and 7.9.

I’ve explained it as best I know how why it is the way it is, and I’m hopeful we will have semantic versions in the future (though there is no technical reason we couldn’t have made these versions 7.8 and 7.9, which would have avoided the confusion, it doesn’t require semantic versions to avoid this problem or confusion).

Sorry @Joe a fat thumb typo. but for clarity one box has:
Screenshot 2023-04-30 092344
and the others have:
Screenshot 2023-04-30 093733
All are | All installed packages are up to date

I’m also looking forward to have semantic versioning with the next Virtualmin release. @Jamie, is there anything you can think of that would fail version comparison, e.g. 7.7 > 7.8.0?

Yeah, I don’t know. Ilia mentioned that the packaging process seems to update the version (in a way that it should not, since we can’t compare 7.7-3 to 7.7 any more correctly than we can compare 7.7.3 to 7.7) on Ubuntu/Debian packages. That should not be happening. I don’t know why it is. It’s a bug.

I’m exhausted explaining it. We have to use real versions, @ilia. I don’t care if we make it to semantic versions, we’re not doing any more code changes with - releases again. When we need a new version, we give it a new version number.

No, this should work fine. Certainly for Virtualmin module updates which are just distributed as RPM/Deb packages…

Great! @Joe, then the next Virtualmin minor release version can be already semantic.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.