Phpmyadmin export issue

OS type and version Debian 10
Webmin version 1.990
Virtualmin version 6.17-3

I don’t know since when it started, but I do know that last Sunday during the backup it still did work fine.
I can access phpmyadmin and do all kind of stuff, but when I want to export the database, I do get the following error (fast translation into English):

randomnamehere.sql.part could not be saved because the source file could not be read.
Try again later or contact the server administrator.

Original message:

randomnamehere.sql.part konnte nicht gespeichert werden, weil die Quelldatei nicht gelesen werden konnte.
Versuchen Sie es später erneut oder kontaktieren Sie den Server-Administrator.

An export / backup via Webmin still works fine. I did try to check the logs, but didn’t find anything related to it. It’s possible I did check not properly enough. Also removing phpmyadmin and re-install it didn’t help.
I got no clue why that happens since nothing was really changed at the system, except package updates.

I am checking stuff and trying a few things and if I should be able to fix it / find out what’s the issue, then I will post it here in this topic.
Meanwhile I would be really grateful if someone knows how to fix this.

Could this perhaps be a Firefox issue?

See How to fix "Source file could not be read" error on Firefox?

Why don’t you try the same operation in Virtualmin on some other browser and see if you get the same error?

Sorry, I did forgot to mention that. :sweat_smile:
I already did try different browsers. Tried a few and also tried different operating systems, meaning that happens on my smartphone as well.

Interestingly in certain browsers (like Chromium), they tell me that there was a network error and that’s why the download failed.
But so far, I couldn’t fix it.

I don’t know if this is of any help (Its not quite answering the original question) to run a mysql backup this way using mysqldump rather than phpmyadmin.

I used to manually copy SQL backup file across from one server to another (usually by FTP). However, there is a simpler method to implement this using the Hostname parameter in the mysql command.

I use a command line mysql backup command from current server and then another command to transfer it remotely to new server.

The mysqldump command to copy the database on the current server. You require the database name, the username and password:

mysqldump --opt database -uusername -ppassword > database.sql

Once the above command has executed you can run this command to load the database into a remote server:

cat database.sql | mysql -hhostname -uusername -ppassword -Ddatabase*

Place these commands in a shell script and run these daily or weekly to perform backups.

This assumes that the new server has been setup with the corresponding database.

Thanks. I do prefer to use phpmyadmin, because its fast to use and useful for different things.
Currently I do the backup manually via webmin (direct interface in the database section) until I am able to fix it.
Still thanks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This could help as workarround to. ( take care for security)

Security is #1 priority in development of Adminer. Adminer does not allow connecting to databases without a password and it rate-limits the connection attempts to protect against brute-force attacks. Still, consider making Adminer inaccessible to public by whitelisting IP addresses allowed to connect to it, password-protecting the access in your web server, enabling security plugins (e.g. to require an OTP) or by customizing the login method. You can also delete Adminer if not needed anymore, it is just one file which is easy to upload in the future. Adminer had some security bugs in the past so update whenever Adminer tells you there is a new version available (ask your administrator if you could not update yourself).

I use this sometimes, it works also on may other “normal” webspace , i then rename the php extension after and also only 1 ip access. ( and use other filenames ofcourse)

Thanks for the tip.

I am still checking what’s the issue since I do get the feeling that one update might have broken it.

I’m having the exact same issue, if you manage to fix it please let me know

I don’t know why, but I got the idea to test the php versions.
I switched back to 7.4 (from 8.0), and it did work then. I did switch back to 8.0 again and it broke the export function again. So there is definitely something wrong. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
So know I just need to figure out whats the issue with the current php 8.0 an if its just a configuration issue or a package issue.

Since I got 7.4, 8.0 and 8.1 installed anyway, I did switch the phpmyadmin folder to 7.4 for now. That’s more of a workaround but it should suffice until I did figure out what exactly is wrong with the 8.0 version.

That might be a useful information for you too. If you do use php 8.0, then you might want to try to switch too.
And if you do use php 8.0, I would like to know if you did upgrade/update some packages before it started and/or if you did change settings in the php installation.

For all if possible try to skip the PHP 8.0 and go direct to the PHP 8.1 then ( if possible) saves time for later. :wink:

1 Like

I did thought about that after I did the php version switch.
I confirmed it’s not only happening with 8.1, but with 8.0 as well.
So I applied the patch myself and it does fix it.

So thanks for the idea to re-check the github from phpmyadmin.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.