PHP magic_quotes_gpc setting is `OFF`

Joomla is giving this on my virtualmin pro installation. How do i fix this directive so it operates w/o errors? I can’t find it anywhere int he virtualmin web configuration.

Hi…

locate the "php.ini" for the server that you want to install Joomla on. Usually it is in: "/home/VHOSTNAME/etc/php.ini"

Then change this:

; Magic quotes for incoming GET/POST/Cookie data.
magic_quotes_gpc = Off
to ->
magic_quotes_gpc = On

Oh… and you might want to check the PHP page before you turn this on. I personally think "Magic Quotes" is a bad idea and should actually be left off on ALL PHP installations.

http://bg.php.net/manual/en/security.magicquotes.whynot.php

Tony

interesting…joomla says having it off is a security risk. I’m not seeing at that thread where having it on is a security risk?

tony.p wrote:

Hi...

locate the "php.ini" for the server that you want to install Joomla on. Usually it is in: "/home/VHOSTNAME/etc/php.ini"

Then change this:

; Magic quotes for incoming GET/POST/Cookie data.
magic_quotes_gpc = Off
to ->
magic_quotes_gpc = On

Oh… and you might want to check the PHP page before you turn this on. I personally think "Magic Quotes" is a bad idea and should actually be left off on ALL PHP installations.

http://bg.php.net/manual/en/security.magicquotes.whynot.php

Tony

so you cna’t change this inside hte virtualmin web interface?

I don’t think you can. There are some options missing I think. That is only one of them. :wink: Ask Joe… maybe they add some more options in future versions!?

Tony

This one is actually in the UI. We foresaw this very conversation in a dream, and implemented it many moons ago. That’s how good our customer service is.

The option is found in the Services menu under "PHP 5 Configuration" or "PHP 4 Configuration". Then click on "PHP Variables". This one is called "Quote all input variables?"

Joe,

maybe it should be called “Magic Quotes” instead!? It’s so much more common in the PHP world plus you can find information about it much easier!? No? :wink:

Tony

We don’t believe in magic. :wink:

But perhaps it should be more apparent what those options map to in the configuration file–since usually folks will be looking specifically for something based on documentation they’ve found on the web or where their app has told them they need an option turned on or off.