Php-fpm breaks when website is removed

weird problem: earlier this week i used virtualmin to REMOVE a website.

this morning php-fpm would not restart, got this message:

Apr 10 12:41:17 MYSERVER.COM php-fpm[11628]: [10-Apr-2021 12:41:17] ERROR: [pool 1609866013749185] cannot get uid for user ‘REMOVEDWEBSITE.com

as a temp workaround, i did a: useradd REMOVEDWEBSITE.com; and the problem disappeared. was i supposed to use a different utility to remove a website? php-fpm was obviously still looking for the removed website username.

any suggestions?

Centos linux 8

EDIT:

a bit of further research, there is a file in the /etc/php-fpm.d/ that references this now-deleted website.

i am tempted to manually delete this file & try removing the temporary user, and restart the php-ftp service, but would appreciate an expert opinion.

should webmin/virtualmin have removed this file?

I was about to ask if /etc/php-fpm.d/1609866013749185.conf is gone or still there. Sounds like it’s still there. Go ahead and delete it (save a copy for peace of mind). Not sure why it was leftover.

Not sure why it was leftover.

thats makes you and me both! :blush:

does this help us at all??

# ls -l  /etc/php-fpm.d/1609866013749185.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 344 Jan  5 12:00 1609866013749185.conf
#
# cat  /etc/php-fpm.d/1609866013749185.conf
[1609866013749185]
user = MYDOMAIN.com
group = MYDOMAIN.com
listen = localhost:8006
pm = dynamic
pm.max_children = 9999
pm.start_servers = 1
pm.min_spare_servers = 1
pm.max_spare_servers = 5
php_admin_value[upload_tmp_dir] = /home/MYDOMAIN.com/tmp
php_admin_value[session.save_path] = /home/MYDOMAIN.com/tmp

That’s the pool configuration file named with 15 characters that represent the domain ID (references to this domain ID should have been removed elsewhere on the system too). So if this file is still present it still gets loaded but with nothing to do except complain. If you delete or rename it does PHP-FPM restart?

I confess that I’m such a noob with Virtualmin that I haven’t yet had reason to remove a virtualhost via panel let alone inspect how cleanly it’s removed. So it’s possible these files need to be deleted manually (by root), which isn’t all that unusual IMO.

deleting the file and restarting php-fpm certainly works.

however, i do not feel comfortable having to “remember” to delete this file whenever i remove a website.

Come to think of it, after sampling the sub-server feature a while back I removed a few sample virtualhosts. But I don’t remember if pool files (16-character domain IDs for sub-servers) were removed automatically or manually. I think I had to delete them myself.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.