PHP doesn't work with custom root path...

Hi everyone, I failed to find my answer by searching on this forum. Please help out.

First, my configuration:

• CentOS 5.4, default installation + AMP related packages
  • Virtualmin GPL
  • suEXEC is disabled
  • root path of my Virtual host: /home/< Virtual host >/public_html/

My issue is PHP related:
1)
I tried to confirm that PHP is working, with:

<?
phpinfo();
?>

My server only outputs a blank page with no error (I already have “display_errors” on). I checked my httpd logs, didn’t see anything relevant to my issue.

If I changed the root path to “/var/www/html/” then my server would output the above script correctly.

What should I do in order to get PHP works with my custom root path?

Thanks for the help.

I’d recommend looking at the logs in both /var/log/httpd/error_log as well as the Virtual Server logs in $HOME/logs/error_log.

It’s hard to say for sure from the info above – though, have you attempted setting up suexec? Having that makes things a bit nicer in general – both being more secure as well as resolving a variety of permissions issues that can creep up.

There’s a thread on enabling suexec on Virtualmin GPL here:

http://www.virtualmin.com/node/8462

Hi andreychek, thanks for your reply.

I have messed with my box a bit more before getting back to this thread.

While my issues persisted, everytime I checked my webpages in questions, I first deleted all contents in the logs, to have them easier for reading. For sure didn’t see anything relevant to my issues.

I have reinstalled everything (CentOS, Webmin, phpMyAdmin, Virtualmin) from scratch on my home box, for like twice, and no luck.

Then for the third time, I installed my home box as in the following sequence (which was about the same as before…):

• CentOS 5.4 (default + AMP packages)
  • Webmin
  • phpMyAdmin
  • Setting password for MySQL root
  • Virtualmin

and somehow my issues are gone. I then installed my VPS the same way, and things are working fine.

While I have a working installation now, I didn’t find out what was going on. I don’t know, it is just weird…

As for using suEXEC, while I am learning how things work, I would like to use the packages from the default repositories, instead of using Virtualmin’s recompiled version of Apache (even though it is just with some fixed paths).

For now I am just messing with my VPS, and trying to have the basic stuffs working properly, so the extra performance & security gains from suEXEC are not important for me.

Thanks again for your reply.

While I have a working installation now, I didn’t find out what was going on. I don’t know, it is just weird…

Well, I’m glad it’s working, though it’s always just a bit nicer when you know what’s gone awry! :slight_smile:

For now I am just messing with my VPS, and trying to have the basic stuffs working properly, so the extra performance & security gains from suEXEC are not important for me.

Sure, not everyone needs what suexec offers.

Have a good one!

-Eric