PHP 8.0/7.4 Support

Operating system: Debian 10
OS version: 10?
Hi, I was wondering how I can add support for php 7.4 and php 8.0 on my virtualmin installation, on Debian 10. Thanks!

Hello @ikasper and welcome to the community.

To add multiple versions of php to your Debian 10 system, see Multiple PHP Versions | Virtualmin

I would avoid php8 for now. It’s brand new and virtually nothing is actually required to use it yet. In fact, I know several people that have broken their sites by implementing it.

Ok, i will try this, thank you very much!

More looking to install 7.4, do you know when it will be added to virtualmin so i dont have to manually install it like this?

It won’t. Virtualmin only uses system packages, and since PHP7.4 is not in Debian 10, it will not be in Virtualmin either unless installed manually.

2 Likes

If I switch to an OS that supports/has PHP 7.4 like ubuntu will it come with virtualmin by default?

Ubuntu 20.04 has 7.4 by default, but honestly if you are already running Debian and things are working well there is really no need to do something like that.
Just follow the steps linked in the post by @calport and save the trouble of migrating and reinstalling a fresh server with Ubuntu.

You sound like the type of person that likes to upgrade to have the latest and greatest when they have no reason at all to upgrade.

Unless you get an alert from one of your software packages telling you that you need to upgrade to 7.4 or anything else for that matter, leave it alone.

Believe me, if Debian gets to a point that the majority of things have moved on to php7.4, they’ll put it in an update the next day.

1 Like

Alright. Thank you very much for the info.

Sounds good. Thanks for the info.

As @toreskev said, we do not provide PHP. Your OS does. Virtualmin doesn’t “come with” any PHP. It installs whatever packages are provided by your OS to satisfy its dependencies. In some cases, we enable a third party repository to get a newer PHP version in cases where only very old PHP version are available (CentOS 7, primarily, though we’ve done it for Debian and Ubuntu in the past, but not current releases), but it still isn’t provided by us (and we try to avoid it).

Pick the OS that suits your needs. If you need very new versions of PHP, etc. use a very new OS (e.g. Ubuntu 20.04 or CentOS 8). There are ways to get newer PHP versions on older operating system versions, but be cautious when enabling third party repos; I recommend you only do so if you know what you’re doing, plan for downtime, and test on a dev system. Virtualmin doesn’t care what version of PHP you have, and it supports choosing between multiple versions when available (but I recommend not using multiple versions except when necessary, because every additional variable makes it harder to troubleshoot problems, harder to fix when things go wrong, and harder to keep it working and up to date over time).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.