php 7

Hello

I can see that php 7 is supported, but I’m not sure if I just follow the instructions for my Centos 7 operating system or if there is a recommended method to do this through virtualmin?

Thanks!

SR

Howdy,

The recommended way of adding new PHP versions to a CentOS is using the Software Collections repository.

Unfortunately, as I review it, it doesn’t yet appear that they’ve added PHP7 to the main repo there, so far as I can tell.

Now, if you have a test server, something where you wouldn’t mind if things got mucked up a bit, I do see a version of PHP7 available for one of the alternate SCL repositories. I’m not quite sure what the difference is between this and the main repo, and I’ve never tested this before, so I wouldn’t suggest it on a live system :slight_smile:

But if you want to give it a try on a test system, you could take a peek at this here:

http://blog.remirepo.net/post/2016/02/14/Install-PHP-7-on-CentOS-RHEL-Fedora

I’ll have to go a head and give it a try then; I would have preferred to be able to switch back and forth for easy testing so I’ll take your advise and try on a dev :slight_smile: Thanks!

Howdy,

Since it’s part of the SCL repo, that should add PHP7 to your existing PHP version. It shouldn’t replace your existing one.

I don’t know anything about this particular repo though, which makes me uncomfortable suggesting it for production servers :slight_smile:

I’d love to hear how that turns out though. Also, if Virtualmin doesn’t detect it, let us know that too and we can see if there’s a simple fix for that.

-Eric

I couldn’t find anything other than to replace it, I used this: https://webtatic.com/packages/php70/

It worked, but I was having issues with my backend of the web application I was using, frontend was good but I ended up reverting back (snapshot VMware) - if there was a way to have it separate I would absolutely love that but for now, I’ll have to find time to clone this and play with it.

If you come across something let me know!

Thanks Eric!!

hi, is normal up to date php5.x not working for you?