PHP 5.6 ignoring Virtualmin's site-specific PHP configs

Some weeks ago we upgraded to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, which comes with PHP 7 by default and does not provide PHP 5.6. Our customers’ websites aren’t yet ready for PHP 7, so we installed PHP 5.6 from another (non-Ubuntu) repository. Since that upgrade, PHP 5.6 has not recognized the site-specific PHP settings that Virtualmin will create. A look at phpinfo() shows “Additional .ini files parsed”, and none of those paths include the user homes where Virtualmin places php.ini.

Is the ability to parse site-specific php.ini files a function of PHP or Virtualmin? If it’s up to Virtualmin, how can I troubleshoot it? If it’s PHP, how do I (re?)configure it to parse site-specific php.ini files? Would that require giving up PHP from this particualr repository and compiling my own?

Any help is much appreciated.

Howdy,

That functionality should work in any supported distro… but you could be seeing a PHP config issue related to those non-standard PHP versions.

When looking at the phpinfo() output, what does it say next to the “Server API” section? Does it say something about “Apache handler”, rather than saying “CGI/FastCGI”?

It should say “CGI/FastCGI”, but if it doesn’t, that may mean that it’s using mod_php, which could cause what you’re seeing.

-Eric

Ah! Yes, it does say “Apache 2.0 Handler” next to “Server API”. So it seems like I should install the php5.6-fpm package and disable mod_php in Apache. Then in Virtualmin, I go to Server Configuration -> Website Options for each domain and make sure “PHP script execution mode” is set for “FCGId (run as virtual server owner)”. Is that correct?