Perl execution failed : Module virtualmin-nginx does not exist

Distro is CentOS 8.2 – The error in Miniserv logs started a couple weeks ago but I just now noticed it on Webmin’s System and Server Status page. The error’s big font also seems to be breaking the page’s table layout.

HTTP/1.0 500 Perl execution failed Server: MiniServ/1.953 Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2020 23:09:21 GMT Content-type: text/html; Charset=utf-8 Connection: close
Error - Perl execution failed
Module virtualmin-nginx does not exist

Nginx is not installed but a few weeks ago, before the upgrade to Webmin 1.953 and Virtualmin 6.10, I put Apache in dry dock to have a look at Nginx with the Webmin modules wbm-virtualmin-nginx and wbm-virtualmin-nginx-ssl. After a couple days it was all removed, Apache was fired back up and everything has been running fine.

So no urgency but possibly a bug.

How was it “all removed”? Webmin seems to still think the nginx module exists, which indicates either /etc/webmin/virtualmin-nginx still exists or /usr/libexec/webmin/virtualmin-nginx does.

You should use packages to add and remove modules so nothing gets left behind (hopefully).

/etc/webmin/virtualmin-nginx and /etc/webmin/virtualmin-nginx-ssl were leftover. I stopped Webmin, nixed the directories and restarted but no cigar, the error persists. There’s nothing in /usr/libexec/webmin/.

Nginx 1.16.1 came from CentOS AppStream and the modules from Virtualmin. All of it installed with dnf but get the feeling the modules should have been installed and removed by Webmin instead.

If there’s nothing else to delete or edit, what if I install it all again but this time use Webmin to install/remove the modules?

Thanks!

That feeling is wrong. dnf is the right thing. I don’t know why it didn’t do the right thing.

It’s fixed now and the status page is pretty again. I found other leftovers in /etc/webmin/installed.cache and /etc/webmin/webmin.acl but it was this one causing the error:

/etc/webmin/status/services/1594845501.serv

type=virtualmin-nginx::nginx
email=
depend=
runon=0
desc=Nginx Webserver
nosched=0
clone=
onup=
notify=pager snmp sms email
tmpl=
ondown=
ontimeout=
fails=1
groups=
remote=*
id=1594845501

Nginx is like that, it just haunts me.

This topic was automatically closed 4 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.