Ongoing access problems

Hi people,
I’m still a raw newbie years later as I’ve never got my Server and Vmin/Wmin to work together. I’m still working with THAT other interface on Shared Servers … :frowning:
I’d like to determine the main source of my problems and a good example set of them is:

1. Suddenly I can’t login to my Server. I get a security warning from Webmin. Nothing was changed:

Cannot Complete Request
fablor.net:10000 uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate is not trusted because it is self signed. (Error code: sec_error_untrusted_issuer)
https://fablor.net:10000/

1. Vmin inexplicably won’t allow access to just 3 out of 20 Email accounts on another Domain.

2. Access to my (old) Server is often simply not there at all via login, yet the Web pages still display (after clearing cache).

3. Cannot install Scripts now (PHBBS)etc. although no problem till now. Many functions are simply not there - like Bacula Backup.

4. Even after a reboot, exactly the same conditions exist.

I’m planning to find out how to do a safe backup (Bacula?) and reload the Server (currently v.old v.5 Fedora) and switch to CentOS or Ubuntu (simply due to the numbers not any personal knowledge of them).

AND perhaps even give up on Standalone Server for a VS.
IF, if, I can believe the write-ups, something like here :
http://www.mediatemple.net/webhosting/gs/faq.htm
IF the blurbs about “burstable” access etc are true…

AND I’d like to take my Vmin with me.

ALL ADVICE WELCOMED
Himagain

1. the warning only means you have not bought a certificate, but signed it yourself. This is normal behaviour and can be ignored.
    However going to your site results in this url: https://fablor.net:10000/<br%20/>
    which doesn’t look good to me.

2. this can be some permission sets or wrong credentials.

3. need log files to see what is going on.

4. the bacula module is just a module to manage bacula.
    To manage it you will need to install bacula first.
    However with build in backup tools available in webmin will take care of most of your backup needs.

some other scripts can not be installed because they would need for instance php4. If you don’t have that for that domain then the install will obviously fail.

Switching to Centos would be a good idea as it is fully supported and "relatively easy" to manage.

Switching from a dedicated server to a Virtual Environment would be degrading. Only the cost would be a reason to do this, not the management.

If the VE is build on Xen then you would have a swap space, which can come in handy, else you probably have only RAM and then you need more then 128MB to run

However I have a VE also with 128 RAM and it only runs as a nameserver and one static site. It continuously has RAM issues.
To host a few sites you will need a VE with 256MB RAM else you’ll get more trouble then you bargained for.

Some VE templates come with repositories and packages (mainly rpmforge) you really dont want to use (i.e. can not use) with webmin.
In those cases you’ll first need to adjust the OS to fit the needs and then try a successful install of webmin.

btw that last link doesn’t seem to be a VE but just shared hosting with its own control panel. I did not see any options to install or manage the OS so putting webmin on there will be a bigger challenge if not impossible…<br><br>Post edited by: ronald, at: 2008/07/07 03:52

Hi Ronald,
Thanks for your reply.
RE:
1. Yes something odd here - I didn’t alter anything myself. Bit hard to ignore - it won’t let me in to Vmin

1. Suddenly I can’t login to my Server. I get a security warning from Webmin. Nothing was changed by me

1. Vmin inexplicably won’t allow access to just 3 out of 20 Email accounts on another Domain.
    THIS is a worry. Can not find any reason for this at all. Server simply won’t allow email access to just those few.

2. Access to my (old) Server is often simply not there at all via login, yet the Web pages still display (after clearing cache).
    Same worry here. It isn’t to do with the Net - can only be Webmin or the Server. can’t tell which.

3. Cannot install Scripts now (PHBBS)etc. although no problem till now.
    Example PHBBS has been installed before.
    Was installed before and removed. Now message is:
    "Php Module MySQL is required. Module not available even after installation"

Many functions are simply not there - like Bacula Backup.
I did expect it to be an auto install as it is referred to and listed in services available list

AND perhaps even give up on Standalone Server for a VS.
IF, if, I can believe the write-ups, something like here :
http://www.mediatemple.net/webhosting/gs/faq.htm
IF the blurbs about “burstable” access etc are true…
The URL only pointed to info page - they only have VS and above. In fact, to add Web/Vmin requires an upgrade to their basic. package which comes with Plesk.
I’m trying to believe what they say about “burstability and many-Server sharing” to produce extraordinary spike expansion capability.

Cheers!

obviously some things did change. Either an update or another sys admin updated the system.
things do not go awry without a reason and most reasons are found in log files.

if others jump in this thread they might want to know what os you are on, webmin version and some log files etc etc to help finding solutions with you (not for you)

the link to the info page is shared hosting page. The (dv)dedicated server that is the virtual environment I referred too. Burstable ram and such is non-sense. Hosters often put more clients on the machine then it can handle, so really dont believe their beautiful salestalks.

on a Xen based VE you’ll have swap space like i said already, however if other users on the box are hogging resources then you’ll have not much benefit of it.

but per haps you first want to read a bit more about managing servers before you spend your money