one domain not receiving email - Access denied 554

Postfix 2.3.3
CentOS 5.2
Vmin Pro 3.63

I have a very strange issue that has occured today, and is only affecting a single domain (there are 20 odd domains on this server - this domain is the only on with a problem with email).

Error message in email being sent to domain are (this from yahoo):
<test@mydomain.co.uk>:
12.34.56.78 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 554 5.7.1 <test@mydomain.co.uk>: Relay access denied
Giving up on 12.34.56.78.

(from gmail):
Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 554 554 5.7.1 <test@mydomain.co.uk>: Relay access denied (state 14).

And from the mail log:

postfix/smtpd[1234]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from mail-gx0-f19.google.com[209.85.217.19]: 554 5.7.1 <test@mydomain.co.uk>: Relay access denied; from=<myname@gmail.com> to=<test@mydomain.co.uk> proto=ESMTP helo=<mail-gx0-f19.google.com>

Thanks for any assistance,

Paul<br><br>Post edited by: pixel_paul, at: 2008/11/19 08:24

Hey Paul,

I have two questions regarding that –

1. What happens if you use a desktop client like Outlook or Thunderbird, and you try to send an email from a person in the domain that’s not receiving email? Are you able to relay email out of your server (ie, can you use Outlook to send an email from test@mydomain.co.uk to your Google account)?

2. If you log onto your system via SSH, can you send yourself an email from there? For example: cat /etc/fstab | mail -s test test@mydomain.co.uk

Does that get delivered?
-Eric

Hi Eric,

1. Yes I can send email and it gets received.
  2. Yes an email is received by the account.

Hmm, that definitely is odd :slight_smile:

One other question then – are you having trouble sending from multiple sources to that domain, or just from Gmail?

Do you have another email account somewhere that you could test from (assuming you haven’t already)?
-Eric

Ive tried from both gmail and yahoo and another account - all give similar responses.

what is odd to me is this part from the mail log:
postfix/smtpd[1234]
usually it would say
postfix/local[1234]

so why would it be trying to relay the email I wonder?

my main concern about this is that there is no explanation standing out as to why this is affecting just this one domain - all the other domains on this server are fine.

The only thing that I did on the server today was to remove some redundant sub domains that I no longer needed through Virtualmin.

did anything change in the dns? are the mx records okay
host -t MX domain.co.uk
host -t MX domain.co.uk 194.159.73.135
2nd test is to see if a different dns server is giving the same local results

Hi Ronald,

If i try this locally I get the following:
host -t MX mydomain.co.uk
mydomain.co.uk mail is handled by 5 mail.mydomain.co.uk.

host -t MX mydomain.co.uk 212.104.130.9
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

Otherwise from a remote terminal I get this:

host -t MX mydomain.co.uk

host -t MX mydomain.co.uk 212.104.130.9
Using domain server:
Name: 212.104.130.9
Address: 212.104.130.9#53
Aliases:

this is a Relaying prob with sendmail… why it is only doing it for one domain name is the question… i would check sendmail relaying and see if that domain is in the list of domains…

pixel_paul wrote:

Postfix 2.3.3 CentOS 5.2 Vmin Pro 3.63

I have a very strange issue that has occured today, and is only affecting a single domain (there are 20 odd domains on this server - this domain is the only on with a problem with email).

Error message in email being sent to domain are (this from yahoo):
<test@mydomain.co.uk>:
12.34.56.78 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 554 5.7.1 <test@mydomain.co.uk>: Relay access denied
Giving up on 12.34.56.78.

(from gmail):
Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 554 554 5.7.1 <test@mydomain.co.uk>: Relay access denied (state 14).

And from the mail log:

postfix/smtpd[1234]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from mail-gx0-f19.google.com[209.85.217.19]: 554 5.7.1 <test@mydomain.co.uk>: Relay access denied; from=<myname@gmail.com> to=<test@mydomain.co.uk> proto=ESMTP helo=<mail-gx0-f19.google.com>

Thanks for any assistance,

Paul<br><br>Post edited by: pixel_paul, at: 2008/11/19 08:24

I have deployed a smtp relay server for multiple domains. i can send mail but cat recieve any thing. I also get the same error messages you get as well