No button to create a new bucket in the Amazon S3 Buckets page

In the following screenshot, the help text says that I create new buckets in this webpage, but there are no “add”, “create”, “new”, or plus (+) buttons:

Operating system: Ubuntu
OS version: 20.04

@antonphp,

It looks like you may have missed a step. What does the page look like at:

Virtualmin > Backup and Restore > Cloud Storage Providers

Best Regards,
Peter Knowles | TPN Solutions

Whether I missed a step or not, what I am saying is that the interface is misleading. It says “buckets can also be created and edited from this page”, but they cannot. This is a UX bug.

@antonphp,

Buckets can be created and edited on that page, however you first need to setup the connection to the Cloud Provider from the “Cloud Storage Providers” page.

Perhaps @Ilia can add a link to the “Cloud Storage Providers” page along with an appropriate message when it hasn’t yet been provisioned.

But to say it’s misleading is incorrect, as once you DO configure the “Cloud Storage Providers” page with the appropriate S3 details, a button DOES appear on the “Amazon S3 Buckets” page which reads “Create a new S3 bucket” as I’ve just confirmed in a test specifically to clarify this.

My initial response was not intended to be an insult, but merely point out that you may have overlooked a step needed to be taken for the page to work as intended. However, as mentioned above I do believe that perhaps this could be a bit more clear.

Best Regards,
Peter Knowles | TPN Solutions

1 Like

Sounds like a good idea, this will make the UI clearer. Had I had no confusion with this section, I would have not spent any time reporting it here. The interface in this particular case is misleading is that it tells me I can do something while I cannot. I tried hard to locate a “New” or “Add” button or something like that.

Thanks for explaining in detail.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Fixed - https://github.com/virtualmin/virtualmin-gpl/commit/bc070867c749b054ed17459faeb6769a15805ecf#diff-fb0cd036a83329cd9ae93b6f499fbd67b5b29284afea26ebcb8fad0e8466b489

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.