Nftables? And a option for choosing a firewall in the install script?

In the process of switching to Debian from CentOS I hit some firewall problems. That’s when I read that Debian is deprecating iptables. So tried firewalld with nftables and ended up in a mess, and Fail2ban not working etc :slight_smile: Well, what’s that new stuff (for me) called nftables? So set up a fine firewall I never saw before for a hosting VM in like minutes, and you know what? It makes somehow more sense to me. At least editing the files that is.

Decided to use it but I always hit a problem with the Virtualmin script: it installs firewalld and iptables and the system ends up being a mess, even loosing SSH connection. So two things here:

• would you consider to provide a Webmin module for nftables? Would be nice!
  • can you offer some option to install a few firewall recipes, like choosing one? or at least not install at all a firewall?

Because the first thing you should when you run somewhere remote/in the cloud is installing a firewall on the minimal install… The second thing you shouldn’t do is installing a second one. So there is that.

And I always forget about the damn firewalld that Virtualmin installs when wondering why stuff is not working.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.