Newbie Postfix "Mail Delivery Status Report" Question...

Hello All,

First sorry for posting this here - this is almost certainly a Postfix issue, and just something that I don’t have the experience to find yet.

A while back I set up a new Virtualmin server using the install script, but somewhere along the line I guess I made a change to Postfix such that now root receives an emailed “Mail Delivery Status Report” for EVERY piece of mail that goes through my server - even successful deliveries. I’ve written a rule in Thunderbird to deep-6 all of them automatically, but it is kind of irritating nonetheless and an additional load I needn’t put on the server. I’ve pored over my main.cf trying to find where I might have created this monster, but just can’t see anything out of the ordinary. Does any one know where this would be set up and where I should be looking? Countless google searches reveal much about Delivery Status Reports:

Postfix can produce...mail delivery reports for debugging: What happened: deliver mail and report successes and/or failures, including replies from remote SMTP servers. This mode of operation is requested with:

% /usr/sbin/sendmail -v address…
Mail Delivery Status Report will be mailed to .
These reports contain information that is generated by Postfix delivery agents. Since these run as daemon processes that cannot interact with users directly, the result is sent as mail to the sender of the test message. The format of these reports is practically identical to that of ordinary non-delivery notifications.

But I don’t understand how to bring this Sendmail syntax back to Virtualmin, Postfix, and my system!

Any thoughts?

TIA,

• Acorp

www.acorp.net

If anyone else happens to come across this looking for a solution, the problem was neither a postfix problem nor a webmin/virtualmin problem, and I found virtually NOTHING that addressed it on the internet.

In my case what happened is that somewhere along the way I had picked up a “-x” parameter in the EXTRA_FLAGS setting of my spamass-milter configuration file (located on my CentOS 5.4 system in /etc/sysconfig/spamass-milter). When I install spamass-milter many years ago, seems like this -x parameter meant something entirely different, but a later incarnation of spamass-milter changed the parameter meaning, or something.

Anyway, if you are having this problem, check your spamass-milter configuration file(s) for a “-x” parameter, as that is most likely your culprit.

Hope this helps someone.

• Acorp

www.acorp.net