skipyesno=0
vm6_repos=0

[16/21] Configuring Status :heavy_check_mark:
[17/21] Configuring Upgrade :heavy_check_mark:
[18/21] Configuring Usermin ▒▒▒
Error: Failed to open PID file

▣▣▣ Cleaning up

[WARNING] The following errors occurred during installation:
◉ Postinstall configuration returned an error.

That’s it.
Fresh install with virtualmin-install.sh on aws.
What to do?

Is there a command to run install from 18/21 again?
Or any other suggestion, please?

I’ve had this on an Ubuntu I just installed. Well, not the PID file. Just restart the installer. I think there was even a sentence saying it was OK if the install failed to just run the script again.

I’ve been playing around with some stuff and am about to wipe my server and start over since it isn’t in production. I might go with Debian 11 myself this time. I’ve just chased down a bunch of configuration errors in the Mailman3 package only to learn that there is a problem with the distro and I either start patching it or change to Debian for the updated package.

It hurts less the third or fourth time? No? Sadly Debian has no long term service release which isn’t good for a production server and my home machine usually has a few hiccups during the upgrade. :frowning:

Place I currently am trying out a server at a hosting company that only offered Debian 10 as a stock offering. So upgraded and doing a Virtualmin install now. First time failed because of Exim4 failing. It had a strange, and completely wrong, owner on the main log file.

So after fixing that I ran the script again and did a tail -f on the log file. Long pause after “unpacking webin” but it finally started chugging along again. Now another long pause at unpacking virtualmin but it started going again.

If you are just watching the little green box then, yes, it looks like it stalled. I’d vote, if I had one, to get rid of the slick interface and remain functional. But, that’s me. :wink:

It used to show everything that was happening, but people ignored errors because they just saw a wall of text flying by and never bothered to try to read it. People still ignore errors, but it’s much harder to ignore a red X. (People still do, and then post questions about problems they run into later when trying to use an incomplete installation, but it is less common for someone to ignore it.)

1 Like

I’ll also mention there is a log that you can tail, if you like seeing the details. Default location is /root/virtualmin-install.log, but you can specify where you want the log to be written. It also keeps old logs, so you can review why a specific install attempt failed.

You missed that I did a tail -f. :wink:

There is a command to run all the config steps again (they are harmless to run again, as long as you haven’t done any configuration after the install was interrupted).

virtualmin config-system -b LAMP

Change the -b option to the appropriate one for your install type. If you used --minimal the bundle should be MiniLAMP or MiniLEMP (for Apache and nginx, respectively…the -b option must match the kind of install you chose when running virtualmin-install.sh).

I tried the command: virtualmin config-system -b LAMP
and got the same error:

[16/21] Configuring Status :heavy_check_mark:
[18/21] Configuring Usermin ▒▒▒
Error: Failed to open PID file

Logfile just stops at: Configuring Usermin

Before that, this is in the log file:

[2023/02/07 10:10:17] [INFO] - Configuring Quotas
[2023/02/07 10:10:17] [INFO] - Code: 0 Result:
[2023/02/07 10:10:17] [INFO] - Code: 1536 Result: quotacheck: Your kernel probably supports ext4 quota feature but you are using external quota files. Please switch your filesystem to use ext4 quota feature as external quota files on ext4 are deprecated.
quotacheck: Quota for users is enabled on mountpoint / so quotacheck might damage the file.
Please turn quotas off or use -f to force checking.
[2023/02/07 10:10:17] [INFO] - Code: 512 Result: quotaon: Your kernel probably supports ext4 quota feature but you are using external quota files. Please switch your filesystem to use ext4 quota feature as external quota files on ext4 are deprecated.
quotaon: using //aquota.group on /dev/nvme0n1p1 [/]: Device or resource busy
quotaon: using //aquota.user on /dev/nvme0n1p1 [/]: Device or resource busy
[2023/02/07 10:10:17] [INFO] - Succeeded

I don’t know if this is relevant or how to fix it.

Can you try updating the usermin package (apt update; apt install usermin) and running that command again. Ilia tells me Usermin 1.861 fixes a package problem with 1.860 that caused this.

Thanks @Joe
Here is the result:

apt update

Hit:5 Index of /vm/7/gpl/apt virtualmin InRelease

All packages are up to date.
apt install usermin

usermin is already the newest version (1.860).

Oops, I missed a step. Should be available now, I hope.

Thanks

All ok now.

[18/21] Configuring Usermin :heavy_check_mark:
[19/21] Configuring Webmin :heavy_check_mark:
[20/21] Configuring Fail2banFirewalld :heavy_check_mark:
[21/21] Configuring Virtualmin :heavy_check_mark:

No error

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.