New virtual domain does not respond to ping

Hello
I just created a virtual server, everything seems ok, but when I ping my domain from outside my server, the answer is unknown host…
When I ping from inside the server the ping is ok.
Thanks for any help.

Pascal

That means DNS isn’t working. The fact that you can ping from inside (when the server is itself the DNS server) but not outside (where the root servers are queried) probably means you don’t have glue records setup properly at your regstrar. That’s outside control of Virtualmin, and how you change it is up to your registrar.

I wrote a blog post about this years ago: http://inthebox.webmin.com/dns-for-web-hosting-glue-records

But, there’s tons of other documentation about this topic on the web; your domain registrar probably has coverage specific to their UI in their docs, and that’s probably the best place to start.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your help Joe, I read your article and I followed instructions, but when I arrived to to restart bind9 and execute service bind9 status to check if bind9 is ok I got the following:
● bind9.service - BIND Domain Name Server
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/bind9.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2020-01-28 13:22:38 UTC; 3min 57s ago
Docs: man:named(8)
Process: 10907 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/named -f $OPTIONS (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Main PID: 10907 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

named[10922]: using default UDP/IPv6 port range: [32768, 60999]
named[10922]: listening on IPv4 interface lo, 127.0.0.1#53
named[10922]: binding TCP socket: address in use
named[10922]: listening on IPv6 interface lo, ::1#53
named[10922]: binding TCP socket: address in use
named[10922]: unable to listen on any configured interfaces
named[10922]: loading configuration: failure
named[10922]: exiting (due to fatal error)
systemd[1]: bind9.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
systemd[1]: bind9.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.

As far as I can understan there is a problem with the TCP socket but I don’t know how to solve this.