New system fail2ban failed to install

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Almalinux 9.3
Webmin version 2.105
Virtualmin version 7.10.0
Related packages Fail2Ban

Hi

I’ve setup a new system (started from a new OS isntall). Fail2Ban is not installed and running dnf install fail2ban results in these errors:

Last metadata expiration check: 0:00:09 ago on Fri Mar 29 08:29:47 2024.
Error:
Problem: problem with installed package selinux-policy-targeted-38.1.23-1.el9_3.1.noarch

• package fail2ban-server-1.0.2-12.el9.noarch from epel requires (fail2ban-selinux if selinux-policy-targeted), but none of the providers can be installed
  • package fail2ban-1.0.2-12.el9.noarch from epel requires fail2ban-server = 1.0.2-12.el9, but none of the providers can be installed
  • conflicting requests
  • nothing provides selinux-policy >= 38.1.23-1.el9_3.2 needed by fail2ban-selinux-1.0.2-12.el9.noarch from epel
  • nothing provides selinux-policy-base >= 38.1.23-1.el9_3.2 needed by fail2ban-selinux-1.0.2-12.el9.noarch from epel
    (try to add ‘–skip-broken’ to skip uninstallable packages or ‘–nobest’ to use not only best candidate packages)

i’ve tried dnf upgrade --refresh and the --nobest parameter but with no luck…
selinux is disabled. The selinux policy type is indeed targeted. I’ve changed it to minimum + rebooted but the error remains the same…

Any advice?

Did you start with a minimal install? I’m really unable to give much help here. I’m only asking that question because this should be a common issue reported here otherwise.

Hmm… Rereading it is almost as if the repo you are pulling from is out of sync. Are you pulling from your server provider’s repo?

erhm how can I check that?

OK…so yesterday I installed the server from scratch including all updates (triple checked on that -after a reboot)… with the error above.
I was just going to dive into checking the respositories but Virtualmin had a few updates ready so I installed these first and right after fail2ban succeeded to install…
Really bizar…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.