New Server - base OS to support php 8 and higher

we are planning to build a new LAMP stack and are unsure of which OS we should consider
for years we’ve used CentOS but that is going away…
We need to support PHP8 and forward
Also support for most recent versions of apache, and MySQL
was considering buying RHEL but wasn’t sure what IS supported by virtualmin and/or best OS to support LAMP

there’s not one that is going to check all of your boxes AND be supported by the current virtualmin. keep in mind virt only installs what is included with the base OS. Right now ubuntu is 20.04 which does not include the latest of anything…which isn’t really that big of a deal. you can add php8 to ubuntu 20.04 though…as you can to any other supported base os…the how to do it properly varies with each OS.

so what would be ‘missing’ if we went the ubuntu route?

what OS’s DOES virtulmin support?

looks like RHEL/CentOs
https://www.virtualmin.com/os-support/
CentOS/RHEL 7 and 8 on x86_64.8 is recommended
now to investigate each of them :wink:

CentOS/RHEL 7 is not recommended.

RHEL 8 or any supported RHEL 8 rebuild is recommended (there’s a beta installer for Virtualmin 7 on Alma and Rocky, if you search the forum, there’s a link to the installer for that, and I’ll be posting an update to it soon). You should always choose the latest supported version of the OS you prefer, especially if newer software matters to you. If you like RPM-based distros, choose RHEL 8 or one of the RHEL rebuild distros (Alma or Rocky). Do not even think about installing 7 on a new system today.

Likewise, if you like deb based systems, choose Ubuntu 20.04, or wait a few days and choose Debian 11 (Debian 11 isn’t supported by our installer yet). Ubuntu is probably the better choice just because it has vastly most users and so it gets more attention from us.

Thanks joe this is exactly what I was hoping for (I never want a lesser version) the whole point of new server is new / latest software!

Let me know when you have the docs ready please

@Joe
Im a centos/rhel guy since version 4…

is there any reason why I should look at a deb- based Ubuntu?

(besides more user base as you mentioned)

No. CentOS is still the most popular distro for Virtualmin (but only barely). I was only recommending Ubuntu over Debian due to popularity. I still strongly prefer the RHEL rebuilds to Ubuntu (but many prefer Ubuntu, and that’s fine).

1 Like

No need to buy RHEL. Its free for up to 16 production servers. If you have been using CentOS from v4 - this is the route to take → RHEL :slight_smile:

I was under the impression I’d need a RHEL subscription to get update/support/etc

Thanks. Now I’m even more confused lol…
Going to look at the VMs available in azure and see what there for prebuilt VMs Since we are a CSP with MS and have our stuff in azure

Go with Ubuntu. It’s easy. It works. It’s not going anywhere anytime soon. You don’t need RHEL at all.

Install the bar bones Ubuntu Server 20.04 LTS.

Then run this:
$ # wget https://software.virtualmin.com/gpl/scripts/install.sh

Then run this:
$ # sudo /bin/sh install.sh

You’re all set.

It’s just that easy.

Sorry, yes correct. If you need support, you will have to pay. If no support required, subscription is free for the first 16.

I migrated to AlmaLinux (from CentOS). Its great, not much different from CentOS in terms of managing the server on a day to day. As you can see from other posts, there are other options e.g. Ubuntu, Rocky, Debian etc. Personal preference at the end of the day. Go with the distribution you feel most comfortable with. Maybe join some of the distribution forums of the various alternatives to browse.

Either way, for Virtualmin/Webmin - we will assist you as best as we can.

Where did you get the idea that the free subscription to RHEL did not include updates?

The google :wink: maybe I misunderstood

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.