New goals to ease and reduce problems

Looking at the issues of the Forum, I note that there are some, which I have checked, occur frequently that could be reduced or eliminated.
Once an item has been posted, it should contain a link to the resolution or clarification on another previously posted subject.
Below are my suggestions and I hope others will also put their needs here:

1. Create items in the Forum based on each of the existing distros, since there are specific particularities for each of them;
  2. Include in the upgrade the installation of the last 4 PHP options, 7.4, 8.0, 8.1 and 8.2 at this time. When 7.4 is completely obsolete, replace, for example, 8.0, 8.1, 8.2, and 8.3. I tried several times to install all and make available using the guide contained in - Multiple PHP Versions – Virtualmin and it did not work with me, would it be something particular to my distro? (Almalinux);
  3. Include in the system the installation of Google Authenticator in a way that is usable by any user, from any distro. Every moment I see this problem and every siature an indication to install this or that;
  4. Include the module for the CSF Firewall installed on the system as an option to enable for Security;
  5. Possibility or ease of demonstrating the reduction of memory consumption as suggested: Rhis is a memory leak? - #17;
  6. Incluir um módulo para instalação da Memoria Virtual de acordo com a distro utilizada e com a opção de tamanho, 2G, 4G, etc. No meu caso utilizei a sugestão padrão mas permaneceu por pouco tempo. Encontrei depois uma sugestão do próprio Almalinux que instalei e permanece ativa - https://krython.com/post/how-to-add-swap-memory-on-almalinux-8.5. A seguir uma informação detalhada do uso da memória virtual: Virtual Memory in Operating System - GeeksforGeeks;

Think that here the main goal is to have the suggestions installed to prevent users from making their own modifications that could generate other problems for the system.

Top of that list has to be reaffirming the system information it really is annoying to see posts that still avoid this even when clearly asked for. Along with questions where the disto is End of Life or unsupported.
Which blends well with your option 1,

1. this is of no use to me (the first thing I do is disable PHP) but do see the point but again should be restricted to versions that are supported for the OS. I, and others like minded, could always indicate “none”.

2. Google Authenticator - sure for those who love Google - but other products are available. I don’t see what problem this exists to be resolves here.

3. What does that really offer over and above what we have?

4. yes

5. eh? sorry lost in translation. If that is about swap memory - then Personally I think that should be done before installing Virtualmin. Or at least when prompted by the installation that it is going to do it for you) memory is so critical for any system and I don’t think being able to install Virtualmin on minimal box is something to be promoted.

In the installation of an application I found problems and then I found out that PHP did not contain php-zip, as I needed to install phpmyadmin, he identified and installed; Once installed, the system informs me that PHP lacks the Intl component. Could this already come installed or is our php version reduced?

Unfortunately, this is not the responsibility of Virtualmin. Not to mention CSF is built mainly for RHEL distributions. https://configserver.com/configserver-security-and-firewall/ Please see their website for more info related to what OS they fully support.
Debian distros require a lot of custom regex patterns in order for CSF to function somewhat properly.
Same goes for VPS iptables.

Why? Also your alma linux only supplies 8.0 so 8.1 and 8.2 come from 3rd party repos eg, remi.

I also don’t want old versions included by default.

Virtualmin is a tool to manage your OS and auto including 3rd party stuff is a bit outside the design spec. What repos would have to be included for other OS?

What I was doing before RHEL9 etc had 8 was to run a short script before installing Virtualmin that added the remi repository and whatever php versions I wanted.

I don’t use this any more, it was for RHEL8 but may help guide you.

dnf -y install https://rpms.remirepo.net/enterprise/remi-release-8.rpm && dnf clean all
dnf -y install php74-php-{cli,pdo,fpm,zip,gd,xml,mysqlnd,opcache}
dnf -y install php80-php-{cli,pdo,fpm,zip,gd,xml,mysqlnd,opcache}

For 2, we regularly test those instructions, and know they work on all of our supported distros. If you run into problems installing following the documentation, post the errors you get. It’s only a couple of commands, there aren’t many places it can go wrong.

But, you should not install every version of PHP! You should only install the version(s) you must have for the applications you’ll be running. Usually one of each major version of PHP is sufficient for running just about anything. You don’t need multiple versions of any major version of PHP. i.e. you almost certainly don’t need 8.0, 8.1, 8.2, and 8.3. You probably just need the 8.1 that comes with your OS. Installing a bunch of extra versions is asking for trouble.

For 3. I thought we’d sorted that out. I guess it’s still an issue on some distros…I’ll look into it.

1. I don’t like CSF. Ilia does, and there’s a bunch of GUI support for it. But, it’s way too complicated for a web server. It’s better suited to gateway/router/firewall devices.

2. If you don’t install every version of PHP under the sun, that won’t be an issue (at least not that specific memory usage explosion.

3. I added automatic swap creation during installation way back during the Virtualmin 6 era, but I guess it could be a GUI thing, too, I dunno.

It is but it is limited - perhaps just enough for Virtualmin to install?.
This is best done before install (or possibly later - that requires more work on the GUI) If it is needed to install Virtualmin then it is probably important enough for some other installations, apps / other databases that may come later)

Not exactly that. It aims to make the system have something like 1.5GB of combined real and virtual memory, which is enough to run most of a full Virtualmin stack (though not ClamAV), though it would be quite suboptimal if half your processes are always swapped out.

The general goal is to not need swap. If something is swapped out, swapping it back in is a very expensive operation, it could be catastrophic for performance.

So, my thinking has always been that you shouldn’t be relying on swap. If you need swap, you have too little memory and should upgrade the system (or don’t install so much memory-intensive stuff, like a bunch of extra PHP versions, or mod_php, for instance…or try to use ClamAV, at all, on any system under about 4GB).

I’m not opposed to having an easy way to create swap in the GUI, but I only added it to help folks installing on very small systems. Hopefully, those very small systems will be doing very small jobs, and not running mail scanning. If you’re relying on swap for day to day operations, you’re doing it wrong.

1 Like

I don’t see swap as a responsibility of VM at all … this is set during the OS install, and yeah I stuffed up once on my laptop and had to increase swap space after the fact but again … its not the OS and definitely not a VM issue.

Whilst I’m all for new features dont clutter up the GUI with stuff that the NORMAL user doesn’t need.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.