New Faster File Transfer options

How about some sort of "TOR" or other torrent service for private file transfers up AND down? It should be something even I can install <smile>.

Living behind the left armpit of internet connectivity in Northern China, I’m starting to miss fast transfers :shock:

Anyway, I have a free program (called free download manager) that DOES download stuff at 160kbps here, by using about 12+ streams simultaneously. I think any one connection across the ocean is bandwidth limited, but there’s no limit to the number of connections, fortunately.

I’d really like a way to both upload AND download. Thus this request.

Hmmmm…I don’t know of any such software, though I imagine some probably exists.

rsync is my knee-jerk first response…but it only solves the problem of “files don’t usually change all that much, but we have to transfer the whole thing every time”. So it doesn’t solve the problem of uploading a bunch of new files at all, though it does reduce the bandwidth of large site updates (for example) dramatically.

A brief googling for “multi-stream scp” and “multi-stream file upload” doesn’t reveal anything useful, so maybe such a beast does not yet exist. And I’m not gonna tackle it anytime soon (my todo list is already too long for sanity). :wink:

Well, downloads are covered by ftp as long as multiple connections are allowed. It’s uploads that isn’t “standard”.

I don’t know much about bit-torrent, but perhaps there’s a server side solution already out there, just needing to be installed?

Anyone know of one?