New BIND Error (To Me)

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Ubuntu Linux 20.04.6
Webmin version 2.021
Usermin version 1.861
Virtualmin version 7.7
Theme version 20.21
Package updates All installed packages are up to date

This error message popped up today in the Dashboard - no clue on what it means.

I have gone to suggested module and rechecked the config and it responds with No errors were found in the BIND configuration file /etc/bind/named.conf or referenced zone files.
which sort of contradicts the original message. Any pointers (BIND is a bit newbie territory for me)

have you checked here

Yes, different values? but they seem correct (unchanged)

I don’t have DNSSEC so that’s fine.

Looks like a bug as it should autoresign.

Maybe (@staff could confirm that) or perhaps I need to wait until the date given (05/08/23) and it should only be seen as a warning at this point not really an error.

I remember @Jamie fixing this issue many Webmin versions ago. Not clear what’s causing it now.

Do you have /etc/webmin/bind8/resign.pl Cron job setup in System ⇾ Scheduled Cron Jobs page? Also, note that the default period between resigns is 21 days.

Yes - it is pretty much the last one “Active” and owned by “root” (I guess that should be ok as long as none of the others fail)

I have changed that to 21 following suggestion from @stefan1959 .

Also the date given is tomorrow which seems very odd - to me.

What if you SSH in as root and run /etc/webmin/bind8/resign.pl --debug

1 Like
Considering zone 255.in-addr.arpa
  Key count 0
Considering zone ************a.uk
  Key count 2
  Zone key in /var/lib/bind/K************a.uk.+008+03928.private
  Age in days 0.5153125
Considering zone ************b.co.uk
  Key count 0
Considering zone ************c.club
  Key count 2
  Zone key in /var/lib/bind/K************c.club.+008+22728.private
  Age in days 14.2451736111111
Considering zone 127.in-addr.arpa
  Key count 0
Considering zone ************d.fun
  Key count 0
Considering zone localhost
  Key count 0
Considering zone ************e.co.uk
  Key count 0
Considering zone ************f.co.uk
  Key count 0
Considering zone 0.in-addr.arpa
  Key count 0

I have obscured the domain names a-f (these correspond to the 6 VS on this box only one (c) has 4 sub servers (that is probably irrelevant) it is (a) that is showing the error above.

Note that all of the domains should be enabled for DNSEC as they are all “live” sites.

I don’t understand why only 2 are listing key count > 0?

Because those domains don’t have DNSSEC enabled. It can be setup using Servers ⇾ BIND DNS Server: domain — Setup DNSSEC Key page.

Confused … `

gives me:

No Setup DNSSEC Key

and a list of existing servers (all are included) all of type “Master”

As I have never been here before, why is it that 2 VS were setup (a & c) but the others weren’t? all these VS were created new in Virtualmin in the normal way. (over some time/versions)

Now click on one of the domain names in the list below, and setup DNSSEC for it, e.g.:

Thanks @Ilia
That was scary stuff (playing around in an area I have no real idea of what I was doing or why)

So I Setup DNSSEC Key creating the key with the default button on each of the domains (b,d,e,f) - Thank you Virtualmin for making the GUI so simple to do that - once the blind :man_with_probing_cane:t2: was lead to the spot :guide_dog:

So I reran /etc/webmin/bind8/resign.pl --debug and the new output shows that all of the domains (a - f) have a Key Count of 2

The error message has gone (well it is now after the date included in the message - so may have gone anyway)

The *.in-addr.arpa zones and localhost zone I didn’t change - Should I?

But I still don’t understand why this was not done by Virtualmin when these VS were created !

I am now off to check the VS on other boxes.

You don’t really have to use DNSSEC, it raises complexity with not that much of a benefit.

Also, you need to make sure that the DS key is something what your parent DNS zone expects, i.e. records on domain’s registrar side. If you don’t have those setup you can simply disable DNSSEC in Virtualmin side for all domains without any further complications.

Nope.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.