Network issue with kvm instance (based on ubuntu 22.04)

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS
Webmin version 2.102
Cloudmin version 9.7 KVM

Hello,

I have installed cloudmin on ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS and everything is fine and I can create KVM instance using ubuntu 18 or ubuntu 16 but when I try to use ubuntu 22.04 or ubuntu 20.04, I got the “ping failed” status.

I found that the vm doesn’t have the IP I have assigned to it during the creation process via the cloudmin console, but it have a strange IP that I don’t know its source.

So what could be the problem?

Thanks so much

Perhaps, you mean APIPA, e.g. 169.254.x.x? If so, it won’t be very hard to find the source of the problem, I hope.

No it is not APIPA.

Based on ip command output this is statically configured IP address. I’d suggest checking Netplan config.

Hello llia,

Hope you are doing well.

Yes, it is from netplan configuration but why does the KVM instance take this IP?

When I am trying to create a KVM instance with Ubuntu 18 or 16, I assign the IP from the cloudmin console and for sure I found it on the machine but in case of Ubuntu 22 or 20, I found the assigned IP on the console but the strange IP I talked about on the machine.

I think this is because ubuntu 22 and 20 uses netplan for network configuration and this causes misconfiguration in somehow.

Hello,

Is it the right place where can I ask this question or is there somewhere else?

I think the reason for this is that the earlier versions of Ubuntu used /etc/network/interfaces file to configure networks and later version of Ubuntu switched to Netplan. @Jamie, is this the real cause of this issue though? I would expect Cloudmin to use Webmin API to configure networks …

Unfortunately during VM creation Cloudmin needs to edit network config files directly, and I only recently added support for Netplan configs. This will be included in the next Cloudmin release …

Hello, @Jamie

Is there a workaround I can use until the next release?
And could you tell me please when will be the next release? So maybe I can wait for it to be able to use Ubuntu 22.

Just to clarify, are your VMs running Ubuntu 22, or your host system? Or both?

My host system is running Ubuntu 22 and by the way, I faced some issues and as a result I replaced netplan and uses /etc/network/interfaces instead and everything is fine now.
the issue is with KVM instances (VMs) now.

Hello @Jamie

Any updates?

I could send you a pre-release version of Cloudmin to try out if you like?

Sure, it will be great. Also I would like to know if it is okay, when will be the next release?

Thanks

@Jamie

Any updates?

Ill take a copy of the pre release thanks

Sure! What email address should I send it to?

Here it is, mahmoudanwer071@gmail.com
Also please if it is scheduled, what will be the next release that will support the netplan configuration because I am waiting for it?

As a temporary solution, You can build an empty system and manually install Ubuntu 20 or 22 using VNC, replacing netplan network configuration with interfaces. You will then need to create an OS image of that machine and use it to launch any future KVM systems.

Make sure to set the IP address of the image to something outside of your network, or else you will run the risk of duplicate IPs when it boots up.

1 Like