Netatalk2 and netatalk3 webmin modules

Over the last few weeks I have been refactoring and improving the webmin modules for netatalk 2.2 and netatalk 3.1. Yesterday I tagged two stable releases:

The former is originally from 2000 and maintained for a few years after that, while the latter written in 2013 and quickly abandoned. Both needed refactoring to work with webmin2 APIs.

A quick recap about netatalk if you aren’t familiar: It’s the open-source implementation of Apple’s AFP file sharing protocol. While Apple abandoned AFP in favor of SMB several years ago, netatalk has seen something of a revival through the boom in vintage computing. It’s a very handy way to do file sharing with very old Macs and even Apple II systems.

Additionally, netatalk 2.x supports the legacy AppleTalk protocol suite which is required for Mac System Software 7.0 and earlier, and Lisa / GSOS / ProDOS networking. OTOH netatalk 3.x is more OSX friendly. Both versions are actively developed.

So, how would one go about getting the netatalk webmin modules accepted into the 3rd party modules repository?

BTW, I’m a netatalk maintainer and developer, “rdmark” on github.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

That’s awesome! I love seeing interesting old tech get new life for fun. I have a silly retrocomputing collection including many Commodore 8-bits, and even an Apple II Plus and a IIgs. I didn’t grow up with Apple computers and don’t really know how to use them, but I hope to find time to tinker with them, eventually.

And, to answer your question, I believe the third party modules list is in a bit of flux; I see it still exists and the CGI script that lists them still works, but I can’t find the form to submit one. I think we maybe just need to ping @Jamie and hope he can help get your modules listed, until the new website catches up with regard to third-party module search and submission and such.

I’ve also encouraged others working on third-party modules to feel free to post release announcements in the Third Party News - Virtualmin Community forum. While there are Webmin-specific communities (old SF.net forum, etc.), this forum is the most active center for Webmin users as well as Virtualmin, so it’s probably going to be most visible here.

Thanks for your response! Retro computing is a lot of fun. I’m also just getting to know the Apple II platform these last few years.

So you’re saying that there used to be a submission form for 3rd party modules, but it’s not online right now? Also just to confirm: If the netatalk modules get listed as a 3rd party module, does this mean that it will be a part of the standard package and can be used immediately after installing a fresh webmin, or will users continuously have to install the netatalk webmin tarball from remote?

I can definitely go ahead and post a release announcement in that other channel.

I think so? Maybe I just didn’t find it. The Webmin website got a total overhaul recently (long overdue, as the previous one was almost old enough to vote), and some stuff got left behind…I think there are plans to get it all back online. But, I was surprised to see the CGI to list was still available, maybe I just didn’t search right to find the submission page…I think it’s the same CGI, so it probably does still exist. :man_shrugging: Jamie will probably chime in at some point.

No, just that it’ll show up in search and can be installed easily.

We’re actually trying to reduce the initial install footprint lately, removing some formerly core modules, and only shipping the most commonly used and actively maintained stuff. But, third party module discovery should be easy and installing is generally easy.

Yeah I really need to completely re-do the third-party modules site, to encourage more contributions and bring the UI into sync with the rest of webmin.com . I’ll look into this (maybe with Ilia) once I have some free time…

2 Likes

@Jamie, just send me all those CGIs, or add them to the repo (private maybe), and I will look into reworking it.

The CGIs can be their own independent repo (website repo should not be private). It just needs to be restyled to look at home with the new site design.

Honestly I think they need to be re-written from scratch…

For the netatalk2 module I agree. It’s a mess.

Did you look closer at the netatalk3 module? It was completely rewritten several years ago and I would argue is pretty well designed.

Perhaps, we don’t even need to use Perl then?

No, Jamie’s talking about the CGI scripts for adding and searching third party modules, not the Netatalk modules!

I’m afraid we’ve violated our own forum guidelines by changing the subject mid-thread. Sorry to hijack your post, @RandomCamper

Haha, context is everything. I just saw the last email notification and responded via email without seeing the other comments. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.