Need to install PHP Version 5.6 PLEASE HELP

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version AlmaLinux 9.4
Webmin version 2.111
Usermin version 2.010
Virtualmin version 7.10.0
Theme version 21.10
Package updates All installed packages are up to date

I have made a new server with the above as my old server had Centos that reached end of life and am restoring all the stuff from the old server to the new

I have a few websites that run on PHP version 5.6.40

The new server and setup as above has PHP Version 8.3
I’ve installed Version 8.2 and 7.4 as I have some websites running on these versions
I’m trying to install the version 5.6.40 but it says not avaiable
PLEASE HELP
Please give me the scripts that I can try and get this
Thanks

PHP 5.x is so old and practically useless (if any site is still using it) then the code needs a serious review and update. there are many basic functions that have been depreciated/updated. v 7.x is ok (sort of) but personally I would also bin that as well.

Of course there are releases that can be found here (if you are desperate)
PHP release history
But these are NOT install scripts.

Vulnerabilities in PHP 5.6.40
www.cybersecurity-help.cz/vdb/php_group/php/5.6.40/

I think you can get very expensive paid support. Not sure how up to date it will be. You probably won’t get a lot of support here either. Your sites are well past needing upgrading.

Hi Stegan and IDI10T

thanks for your replies

If it is vulnerable to hacking and gets hacked would it just be that server that gets ruined huh? not the whole virtualmin I hope?
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr…

It looks like Lots of work to update this website - I’ll have to try set up xampp on my PC and do some testing myself - as it seems to get a bit expensive getting an IT guy to do this

Wish there was an easier way… any ideas?

Back ‘in the day’ there were some upgrade scripts for various versions of PHP. You might be able to find a few still kicking around. But, I’m more a network guy so I never actually used any of them.

I think you will not be alone there.
I’m afraid I stopped using PHP about 10 years ago and moved to NodeJS (which is just as bad at upgrading/reinventing itself).

If programming is your skill it shouldn’t be too difficult to do the testing yourself. There are some good debugging tools out there to help. But don’t underestimate the effort and time it will take. The internet can be helpful these days.

Migrate your websites to wordpress or joomla . Don’t try and fix the old sites if you don’t have to

Hi Shoulders
Thanks for your reply…
is this easier? how do you do this? - Please explain in layman’s terms as I am a newbie… :grinning:

Although wordpress has lots of updates as well - but never mind if it gets the website to work without too much work… its ok I guess
Please let me know
Either wordpress or joomla whichever is easier to migrate to

The website I have is core HTM, PHP, CSS

Thanks

The long path, Convert to a CMS

WordPress is the most popular CMS and there are a lots of plugins.

Joomla is more powerful but the learning curve is massive.

Without knowing what you have it is hard to say the difficulty level, but this is the path I would take.

I use WordPress and the Divi theme from elegantthemes.com for making my client websites as they don’t need much.

The Divi license is pay once and use forever with unlimited clients. Divi has pretty much everything you need to make a basic website that looks good.

These are not quick fixes that you can do in hours.

The dirty work around

is to run the websites on xampp so they load properly and then use CyoTek WebCopy to rip the website, but this copy will be a flat HTML only and all the backend code will no longer be part of the website.

I myself have not used it, but have also heard of Drupal as a well respected CMS

Drupal is hardcore, it primarily is used as a headless website for doing backend stuff.

That seems like a really bad idea, unless you have a crystal ball

1 Like

I’m not sure if i should make another topic for this but it applies to the same as above - almalinnux new server… and my old Centos server
A couple of websites i’m trying to migrate over are wordpress and i could do the migration with plugins provided but I have lost the usernames and passwords, and I thought I’d install phpmyadmin and see them - but after installing it just comes up as text… not the normal module to log in etc…
Anyways I have the wordpress_mydomain.com database - how do I view in this
I went to manage but them what do I do?
Please help
Thanks

I would start a new topic for upgrading wordpress in general

There is no longer any safe, free (or cheap), way to run PHP5. The PHP maintainers have (many years ago) stopped maintaining it.

The last somewhat supported PHP 5 version was the one shipped with RHEL7 (and, thus CentOS 7), which reached EOL last month. It is possible that the RHEL 7 ELS version has maintained PHP 5 packages, I’m not sure. We don’t support any distros behind a paywall, but RHEL7 still works currently and will likely continue to work for the foreseeable future.

So, the best advice I can give you is: Don’t do that. Upgrade your apps to work in a modern PHP version. There are configuration options you can use to get PHP 7 or 8 to run with more backward compatibility, and upgrading the code is generally not all that hard, assuming you wrote it to start with or have been maintaining it through all those years.

And, the second best advice I can give you is: Install RHEL 7 and pay Red Hat to make it a little less dangerous to run PHP 5. This option is not cheap, but it’s cheaper than an exploit. But, I can’t be certain they’re maintaining PHP5 in a significant way. I don’t know what their policy is for packages like PHP and what “critical security advisories” means…it may mean they ignore a lot of pretty serious problems in PHP 5. There are known security issues in the version of PHP5 that shipped with RHEL7 up until EOL. I assume they consider those non-critical. Announcing up to 4 years of Extended Life Cycle Support (ELS) for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 (looks like this costs $273/year, maybe?)

But, really, if you haven’t touched that code since PHP5 was alive, I’m quite confident you have serious security problems.

1 Like

OK Thanks Joe … will have to convert to the latest version …

Regards
ASM