Need help pointing DNS on cPanel server to a Virtualmin Server

Good morning all. I would like to start making the change over to Virtualmin from cPanel. I have a client that needs a new site. The old site is on the cPanel server and the domain will not change. So this is how I thought I would do it if possible. Please let me know if this is okay.

So my clients domain is hosted with Yahoo and it has my cPanel nameserver listed as the nameserver. I would like to install virtualmin on a new server and set the new site up on that. Once it is set up, can I change the DNS record to point to the new Virtualmin server? Both A and MX? Will that work? Anyone have any experience with that?

I figure once that is set up I can update the nameserver at Yahoo to point to the Virtualmin Nameserver.

Is this a viable way to start moving clients to the new server?

Your plan is good.

Additionally, I recommend you lower the TTL a day before you make changes to the DNS records of a domain. Generally, TTL is set to a large value of say around 24 hours (86,400 seconds). However, if you are planning to make DNS changes, you should lower the TTL to 5 minutes (300 seconds) at least 24 hours in advance of making the changes. After the changes are made, increase the TTL back to 24 hours.

2 Likes

Yes, that works.

Normally though you don’t change your nameservers at your web host on CPanel. You change that on the site you registered the domain with.

Example: If you’re hosting your site on Bluehost but the domain name is registered with GoDaddy, you would go to the GoDaddy site and log in to the account of that domain and change your nameservers there to point directly to your new server.

The only thing I’ll add is not to shut down the losing server until it’s no longer getting any traffic. If you’ve shortened the TTL’s as @calport advised, this shouldn’t be more than a few days after you change the nameservers at the registrar.

Richard

Hello RJM_Web_Design,
Hello Gomez_Adams,
I was having trouble setting up nameservers on the new vitrtualmin server. I create a new Post here just in case it gets resolved it will be easier for people to find. I would Value your thoughts on it.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.