Need help mounting SMB/CIFS share

Hi community,

I’m pretty new to Linux, but I had good success with installing and configuring Ubuntu for a cloud-hosted server project I’m currently working on. I found out about Webmin, and it helped me tremendously with some tasks like exploring the file system, configuring cronjobs, monitoring performance, etc.
Now I do have one remaining challenge and that is, to mount a SMB/CIFS share which is located on another server. I had success using rclone, but I wanted to try if I could use Webmin for it, as the documentation says, I could mount a SMB/CIFS file system from within the “Disk and Network Filesystems” menu.
The documentation says “…select Common Internet File System from the drop-down box of filesystem types, and click the Add mount button…”. Unfortunately, there is no such option listed for me at all. There are a bunch of file systems, but no Samba or CIFS respectively. I tried to install the SMB server module from within the inactive modules section, rebooted the server, but it’s just not popping up.
Is there anything I’m missing on how to enable this option for me?
I appreciate any help :smiley:

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Ubuntu Linux 22.04.4
Virtualmin version Webmin 2.105

If the Samba module isn’t installed, you can do by visiting YOURDOMAIN:10000/webmin/edit_mods.cgi?xnavigation=1

Underneath “Install From” hit the third option (“From HTTP or FTP URL”) and put https://download.webmin.com/download/modules/samba.wbm.gz into the corresponding text box. Leave all other options as is and click “Install Module”.

After successful installation, the Samba section should then show up below “Webmin > Servers”.

I recommend reading the documentation.

Thanks for your answer @Steini :smiley:
I installed the module according to your description and restarted the server afterwards, but there is still no sign of mounting a SMB share in the corresponding menu. Any other idea?

what is the result from

https://your-domain.com:10000/samba/?xnavigation=1

?
you should see something like

Yes I’ve seen this, but even after installing this as well, the SMB mount option is still not available.

so you don’t see this ?

??
This appears to be the section you need to be editing. Have you hit the ‘refresh modules’ option in the webmin menu ? if not the samba options will stay in unused modules .
after hitting refresh you should see

Yes, I can see these options, but this is not what I’m looking for. I don’t want to create a SMB share on the server, but rather want to mount an already existing one on a 3rd party server as a drive in the file system as described here: Disk and Network Filesystems | Webmin
The option I’m looking for should be located in the filesystem section, as seen in my screenshot before, but it’s missing from there.
Thanks in advance!

Update: I figured it out. I had to run

sudo apt-get install cifs-utils

for the option to show up under file systems in Webmin. It was not necessary to install the Samba module at all.
Thanks for the help!

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.