Need Help! Database not in Full virtual server backup

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version: CENTOS 8.4.2105
Webmin version: 1.973
Virtualmin version: 6.16
Related products version: RECOMMENDED

Hi, so I’m running a wordpress virtual server and I have a scheduled daily full backup (including database). Where can I find the database backup file ? It doesn’t seems to be in the .backup folder

Also the option " MariaDB database enabled?" wasn’t activated but the website was working somehow. Sorry I’m new to virtualmin and I need help.

From this I infer that there was one virtual server on which WordPress was installed and the database which was used by WordPress was owned by some other user. This is not the standard or recommended setup but will not prevent the website ‘working somehow’. This will also have the effect of not including the database owned by some other user from being included in the archive of the WordPress virtual server.

What you need to do:

1. Enable databases for the WordPress virtual server
  2. Create a backup of the database used by WordPress but owned by some other user
  3. Import (via the Execute SQL option) the backup of the database which you have created in #2

Virtualmin also offers the ‘Disassociate from Server’ button and Import Database tab which help make the three step operation a two click operation, if you know what you are doing.

The end result is that you will have a virtual server which has a database associated with it and it will automatically be included in all backup operations that you carry out via Virtualmin.

1 Like

Assuming that you’re running backups using Virtualmin (configured on Backup and Restore ⇾ Scheduled Backups page), then the database backup file can be found on the inside of the main backup file (archive), usually named as domain.com_mysql_database_name.gz.

Thanks! These are the kind of things that no one tells you. Fortunately my server provider had a backup of my VPS.

I did exactly what you said and now the database is backed up from Virtualmin!

Thank you again for your help

It’s not actually… What @calport explained is exactly what was happening, the database was not linked to virtualmin user and thus couldn’t be backed up from the virtualmin backup and restore tool.

Great! Thanks for clearing that up.

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.