Need a newer program version than repositories

I am using ImageMagick 6.2.8
I’ve just installed Imagick the php extension.
The problem is that I get a Fatal Error: Call to undefined method…
It seems it is because Imagick needs 6.3.5.9+ ImageMagick version.
What do you think about installing this IM version by myself?
Yum updates stays in 6.2.8
Thank you.

Howdy,

What Linux distro/version are you using? And do you know what repository your PHP version came from?

Normally, the PHP version for a given distribution should work with all the software available on it, so it’s unusual to see the error you’re getting…

-Eric

Hello Eric,
This was a fresh Virtualmin installation a year ago in a Centos 5.6
Linux 2.6.18-238.5.1.el5xen on x86_64
All Virtualmin packages are up to date.
“No packages available to be updated were found”
Php version 5.1.6 Imagick module version 3.0.1 enabled
Thanks

Howdy,

How do you go about installing that PHP imagick module? I did some Googling on that process, and from the looks of it, that should be able to work on a typical CentOS setup. So, maybe we can review the specifics of how that was installed, and see if there’s anything awry there :slight_smile:

-Eric

Eric,
I first installed imageMagick-devel
Then pecl install imagick
And finally created /etc/php.d/imagick.ini with “extension=imagick.so”

Now I am getting “PHP fatal error: Call to undefined method Imagick::roundCorners()”

PS: no imagick packages from yum

For example, I found from andrewduck.name this procedure

yum remove ImageMagick
yum install tcl-devel libpng-devel libjpeg-devel ghostscript-devel bzip2-devel freetype-devel libtiff-devel
wget url to ImageMagick download
tar zxvf ImageMagick-6.4.8-3.tar.gz
configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-bzlib=yes --with-fontconfig=yes --with-freetype=yes --with-gslib=yes --with-gvc=yes --with-jpeg=yes --with-jp2=yes --with-png=yes --with-tiff=yes
make clean
make
make install

What I am asking is about security.
I don’t know why ImageMagick repositories version is too old.
In the past I had to suffer php 5.2 holes in Fedora, I had to downgrade to 5.1.6 (Virtualmin installation)

Hmm, that’s exactly correct!

And you have the latest Imagemagick available for CentOS… so it does appear that the functions you’re application are trying to use may indeed require a new Imagemagick version.

The downside there is that doing so is no simple process :slight_smile:

If having that imagick module work is important, you may indeed need to look into either getting a newer imagemagick version… or changing to a distribution that has newer software in it. The newer Ubuntu and Debian releases have that, and the soon to be supported Scientific Linux 6 should have that (Scientific Linux is almost identical to CentOS).

-Eric

What I am asking is about security. I don’t know why ImageMagick repositories version is too old. In the past I had to suffer php 5.2 holes in Fedora, I had to downgrade to 5.1.6 (Virtualmin installation)

Well, that’s how distros tend to do it. They want to maintain compatibility and stability as best they can throughout the life of their distribution – so rather than tossing newer package versions into their repositories (which could break some applications), they instead backport security fixes into the older software versions they offer.

The only way to get newer software would be to either upgrade to a newer distribution, or to manually obtain it (whether compiling it manually, or grabbing it from a third party repo).

However, the packages you have are secure and up to date – if you’ve performed all your updates, that means there’s no known vulnerabilities in them.

-Eric