NDC command failed - help with this error

Hi
When I click apply changes in edit master zone for my virtual server I get this error:

NDC command failed : rndc: ‘reload’ failed: bad name (check-names)

What must I go check and where do I find it.

Thanx.

Has anything on the system changed since the last time it worked?

Also, do any messages show up in the logs when trying apply those changes?
-Eric

I have been having a lot of problems with the system now for awhile and due to it being an unmanaged server my hosts are not to helpful with webmin/virtualmin.

It was fine awhile ago except that I always had to manually adjust he records after creating the server ever since they set it up, it would use the servers name and not my main domains name in the records (2nd line in bind master record), also had to add the 2nd dns server myself.

Would it be possible to take a look at it, even if I need to pay you for your time as I would like to get it working correctly once and for all.

It was fine awhile ago except that I always had to manually adjust he records after creating the server ever since they set it up, it would use the servers name and not my main domains name in the records (2nd line in bind master record), also had to add the 2nd dns server myself.

This is, obviously, configurable. Why not ask us about it, if you aren’t sure what to do? (Also there’s quite a bit of documentation about DNS.)

Look in Server Templates under "BIND DNS Domain". The options you want are:

Master DNS server hostname

And:

Additional manually configured nameservers

I’m guessing you’ve broken your named configuration file while editing it manually (I never get it right when I edit named.conf manually, anyway). So, restart BIND using the named initscript, and look in the logs for clues to what’s messed up.

Hi

Thanx for th input.

I have been on here afew times with it, but it only seems to last for awhile.

I think it plays up again each time the server gets rebooted.

Well I will try what you suggested, but you lost me with this:

restart BIND using the named initscript,

what is it and where do I find it.

initscripts are the start/stop scripts for the various services on your system. On most Linux systems, they are located in /etc/init.d. On some systems they may be in /etc/rc.d/init.d. Webmin has a module for the initscripts and rc scripts in System->Bootup and Shutdown. On some systems the BIND initscript is named "named" (hehe…) while on others it might be "bind" or "bind9".

On Red Hat based Linux systems, you can simply type:

service named restart

On most others:

/etc/init.d/named restart

Or:

/etc/init.d/named stop; /etc/init.d/named start

And the logs are usually in /var/log. Which log exactly depends on the OS, but messages is where I’d start looking for clues.