NameVirtualHost directive

Coded

Hi

After upgrading to Ubuntu 14.04 I am having a few issues reported by the Cron Deamon that I would like to address. Below is a snippet from the email the Cron Deamon sends. There is no need for the entire email because the second part is repeated many times.

/etc/cron.daily/amavisd-new:
Please run this cronjob as user amavis
run-parts: /etc/cron.daily/amavisd-new exited with return code 1
/etc/cron.daily/logrotate:

[Mon Jun 01 06:42:21.006921 2015] [core:warn] [pid 15118] AH00117: Ignoring deprecated use of DefaultType in line 176 of /etc/apache2/apache2.conf.
AH00548: NameVirtualHost has no effect and will be removed in the next release /etc/apache2/apache2.conf:238

First thing first. /etc/cron.daily/amavisd-new:. I have partly figured this one out cron.daily runs as root and amavisd-new needs to run as amavis. I created a separate cronjob that runs as amavis which seems to run fine or at least it does not report any errors. I have been looking at the cron job for cron.daily and I am unable to edit it to remove /etc/cron.daily/amavisd-new.

How do I remove /etc/cron.daily/amavisd-new form cron daily?

Now to the second part which its self has two issues.

Ignoring deprecated use of DefaultType in line 176 of /etc/apache2/apache2.conf.

Currently in my apache2.conf the DefaultType line reads

DefaultType text/plain

But in Apache 2.4 , this directive is disabled. (Ref:http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/core.html#defaulttype) and the line should read

DefaultType none

If I change DefaultType to none now will this cause any problems?

Finally to NameVirtualHost has no effect and will be removed in the next release. According to what I have read the solution is to simply remove the NameVirtualHost directive but before I do. Will removing the NameVirtualHost directive cause any problems in Virtualmin?

Howdy,

Well, I’m not familiar with using Amavis, so I can’t speak to those messages – however, you can removing something from cron.daily just by deleting the file there. So you can delete the file “/etc/cron.daily/amavisd-new”.

However, since I don’t use Amavis, I don’t know the consequences of deleting that cron job :slight_smile:

Regarding the “DefaultType” parameter – I’d suggest just commenting it out. It looks like the docs for that say it does absolutely nothing any more (other than emit warnings), so there wouldn’t be a benefit to setting that in your Apache config.

And yeah, similar with NameVirtualhost – Apache now determines when that’s needed automatically. That setting can be commented out as well.

-Eric