Namecheap DNS Domain Registrars

Hello guys,

Trying to add Namecheap as DNS Domain Registrars, via Address and Networking -> DNS Domain Registrars.
First, the “DNS registrar account details” asks for Copy contacts from domain, without any clue about this.
If it’s left blank, the following error message:

Failed to save account : Missing or invalid-looking domain to copy contacts from

Then if I enter any of my domain (including an existing Virtualmin server), I receive the following error:

Failed to save account : Domain to copy contacts from is not associated with this account

Has anybody used this module successfully? I’d appreciate your guidance.

Yes, I have used the module successfully with gandi.net

I would guess that the domain name you have specified has whois info which is unacceptable to Virtualmin / Namecheap. Could you use an alternate domain name or change the whois record to one which is acceptable to the module (assuming the recent decision to redact / hide whois info is not triggering this).

Thanks @calport; could you tell me what changes do I have to do, to make the “whois record” acceptable for the Virtualmin module?

The Namecheap website displays whois records in the following, partially redacted, format:

Domain Name: namecheap.com
Registry Domain ID: 32797606_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: WHOIS.ENOM.COM
Registrar URL: WWW.ENOM.COM
Updated Date: 2019-12-24T09:17:46.00Z
Creation Date: 2000-08-11T12:15:25.00Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2025-08-11T16:15:00.00Z
Registrar: ENOM, INC.
Registrar IANA ID: 48
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://www.icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Registrant Name: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Registrant Organization: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Registrant Street: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Registrant Street: 
Registrant City: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Registrant State/Province: AZ
Registrant Postal Code: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Registrant Phone Ext: 
Registrant Fax: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Registrant Email: https://tieredaccess.com/contact/4f141fbe-bc0d-416f-ba8c-ca18d67c837f
Admin Name: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Admin Organization: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Admin Street: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Admin Street: 
Admin City: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Admin State/Province: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Admin Postal Code: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Admin Country: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Admin Phone: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Admin Phone Ext: 
Admin Fax: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Admin Email: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Tech Name: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Tech Organization: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Tech Street: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Tech Street: 
Tech City: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Tech State/Province: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Tech Postal Code: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Tech Country: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Tech Phone: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Tech Phone Ext: 
Tech Fax: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Tech Email: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Name Server: EDNS4.ULTRADNS.BIZ
Name Server: EDNS4.ULTRADNS.COM
Name Server: EDNS4.ULTRADNS.NET
Name Server: EDNS4.ULTRADNS.ORG
DNSSEC: unsigned
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: ABUSE@ENOM.COM
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.4259744689
URL of the ICANN WHOIS Data Problem Reporting System: HTTP://WDPRS.INTERNIC.NET/
>>> Last update of WHOIS database: 2020-12-11T18:47:04.00Z <<<

For more information on Whois status codes, please visit https://icann.org/epp

I do not know if there is anything you could do to get the redaction policy suspended and get your full contact info displayed in the whois record of your domain - I presume this is what the Domain Registration module of Virtualmin needs to register domains via Namecheap. To register via Gandi, the whois record is not referenced, as best as I can recall.

Thanks @calport , I resolved the issue by transferring one of our own domains to Namecheap.
However, it is not possible to change the Registration to “Test Only”, using the only API provided by Namecheap; Virtualmin module will return:

Failed to save account : API command failed : API Key is invalid or API access has not been enabled

Does anybody have a clue?

Have you called NameCheap or chatted online? They have 24/7 support and I’ve used them for almost 20 years. I have 13 domains with them using Virtualmin. Ask them directly.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.