MySQL User Management

Hello,

I’m new to this forum and I’ve been searching for about two days for an answer to this so I decided to post.

I have succesfully setup virtualmin and love it, i managed to get everything working how I want it to except MySQL Management.

The problem I have is that I don’t see an option for a regular admin to create MySQL users. I have read in the forums that they can add a mail/ftp user and give them MySQL access but I believe this is not a very good way as it create a linux user which I do not need. When I create MySQL users most of the time they are used for scripts, etc that do not require a linux account.

The only way I can create MySQL users is if I login to webmin as root and go to MySQL management.

Am I missing something? Or is this working as designed?

Thanks,

Pedro

Hi Pedro,

Unfortunately, that’s the way things work at the moment… the only way that Virtualmin is able to manage MySQL users today is if there is a corresponding system user.

It does give them a dummy shell, and they can’t log in, but it does create a new user nonetheless.

-Eric

Oh well :frowning:

Thats sucks because I don’t want my /etc/passwd file filled with unnecesary users. But hey I still like virtualmin :slight_smile:

Thanks Eric!