MySQL server stopped working - error 24

Hello,

I have a problem with my MySQL server on my Virtualmin installation. All of a sudden, websites running on a CMS do not work anymore. I went inside Virtualmin and tried to look inside the database.

When I go to Edit databases, I get the following error when pressing ’ Manage database’:

SQL select table_schema,table_name from information_schema.views where table_schema = ? failed : Out of resources when opening file '/tmp/#sql_c91_0.MYD' (Errcode: 24) 

I get a sortlike error when entering the ‘Edit users’ menu.

SQL select user.user,user.password from user,db where db.user = user.user and (db.db = 'lilith' or db.db = 'lilith') failed : Out of resources when opening file './mysql/user.MYD' (Errcode: 24)

After I googled the error code, I came up with some earlier threads. I came as far as doing -quota -v mysql which has the following results:

Disk quotas for user mysql (uid 107): Système fichiers blocs quota limite sursisfichiers quota limite sursis /dev/disk/by-uuid/65e9b294-fad3-4c5d-8afd-b74086dea02e 83132 0 0 2073 0 0

(Sorry, my server is Francophone and I am not so I have no idea what some words are :P)

Unfortunally, this is where I get stuck as I have no idea how to proceed. I got a vague understanding that MySQL is not getting any quota at all at the moment.

I hope somebody can help me as I fear of having to revert to a severly outdated backup (that moment when you realise your backup isn’t properly configured as well…)

Further information:
It is a Debian 64 bit server

The only plausable thing I can think of what might have caused MySQL to go wrong is that I did some updates of my server OUTSIDE virtualmin in the command line instead of updating via the Virtualmin control panel.

1 Like

Howdy,

It sounds like you may be running into an open files limit.

How many domains are you hosting on your server, out of curiosity?

And also, what distro/version is it that you’re using?

-Eric

Hello Eric,

I am running 3 domains, of which all 3 are small Joomla based websites, although on that same server is a gameserver running. But also when that gameserver is not running I get that. I do think however that it started since I installed the gameserver, but it was on a seperate username/account on the server and it does not use MySQL.

Sorry I indeed forgot to mention what version I was using, it is Debian 7 64 bit ;).

Howdy,

That’s unusual that you’d see issues like that on a server with only 3 domains, but it may be related to what some of your websites or other content is doing behind the scenes.

I don’t think the issue was caused by you performing updates outside of Virtualmin… there’s nothing special that Virtualmin does for updates, it simply uses “apt” the same way you or I would do on the command line.

This problem sounded familiar though, and although I couldn’t find it yesterday, some digging I did today dug up a solution that I had used in the past for this particular problem.

Take a peek at my comment to this Forum post here:

https://virtualmin.com/node/24829

Does that solution mentioned there work for you? Although in this particular case it was for a CentOS 6 system, the same sort of thing should work on Debian 7 just fine.

-Eric

Hello Eric,

Unfortunally, there does not seem to be anything like

exec="/usr/bin/mysqld_safe"

in my mysql file in that map. There is not even an ‘exec’ command. Is that a problem in there?

Should I send you my version of that file?

Well, the exact placement doesn’t really matter… if you have an init script in /etc/init.d/mysql, just place the “ulimit” line somewhere underneath the row of comments that is at the start of the file, and then restart MySQL.

-Eric

You are my hero! Putting that line at the first ‘init command’ helped.

Now I will inmediatly ensure that weekly backups are made… never configured this on my ‘new’ (as in, half year old server) while I thought it was configured. :smiley: