MYSQL_OPT_RECONNECT is deprecated

Operating system Ubuntu Linux 22.04.2
Webmin version 2.101
Usermin version 2.001
Virtualmin version 7.7

Cron root@host /etc/webmin/status/monitor.pl

WARNING: MYSQL_OPT_RECONNECT is deprecated and will be removed in a future version.

my site runs wordpress and there is no instance of ‘MYSQL_OPT_RECONNECT’ anywhere in the entire www root, so i don’t know what’s generating these constant notices every 5m

That looks like a php mysql driver problem … use google to search the problem out … if you have different versions of php installed switch to a different version and see if the error persists

looks like several people are having this problem as of late, though i don’t know what the cause is

i switched from php 8.0.30 to 8.1 and 8.2 and in both cases my website won’t load - internal server error

disable all plugins (if any) and retry if it works add them one by one until you get a failure

I think this post could explain the basis of the problem:

The warning as an “error” only started after yesterday’s php 8.1/8.2 updates. So I assume they have decided that the deprecated feature is now indeed an error, and monitor.pl will need modification.

Sorry, forgot to mention that this seems to only be on Ubuntu 22.04.3, not on Debian 12.

I have the same problem. It is not related to Wordpress or anything, the error is coming from the cronjob running /etc/webmin/status/monitor.pl as the message says. So this is a problem with Perl and not PHP.

I’m getting this every 5 mins by email, but it only started at around 6:30am GMT this morning, which I find odd. I don’t have auto updates turned on.

Just edit your root crontab for a temporary solution that is not annoying you. There is a line there related to monitor.pl

0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * * /etc/webmin/status/monitor.pl

Background
Last night Ubuntu released a patch for libmysqlclient21 which includes a MySQL update that affects Perl.

/etc/webmin/status/monitor.pl is run every 5 mins and calls /usr/share/webmin/status/monitor.pl which then calls /usr/share/webmin/status/mysql-monitor.pl which in turn calls /usr/share/webmin/mysql/mysql-lib.pl and that shows that the entire way that Webmin is authenticating with MySQL is via the deprecated call :neutral_face:

Workarounds

Option 1) Roll back the affected package and hold it…

$ sudo apt list -a libmysqlclient21
libmysqlclient21/focal-updates,focal-security,now 8.0.34-0ubuntu0.20.04.1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libmysqlclient21/focal 8.0.19-0ubuntu5 amd64
$ sudo apt install libmysqlclient21=8.0.19-0ubuntu5
$ sudo apt-mark hold libmysqlclient21

Option 2) Edit the cron to grep out the warning

$ sudo crontab -e

change

0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * * /etc/webmin/status/monitor.pl

… to…

0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * * /etc/webmin/status/monitor.pl 2>&1 | grep -v "MYSQL_OPT_RECONNECT is deprecated"

Hopefully a fix will be out soon

3 Likes

@Dogsbody_Technology - just wanted to thank you for digging into this and offering solutions

personally i’ll wait on the fix and just use option 3): auto-trash mails with MYSQL_OPT_RECONNECT in the body :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks. I chose option 2. How will I know when to do unhold?

You won’t know. You will either have to wait for someone to post here or keep checking and rolling back I’m afraid

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.