MySQL database failed! SQL alter user failed; Old problem again

After updating Virtualmin to the latest version I get this error when I add a new server:

Creating MySQL login ..
.. MySQL database failed! : mysql::execute_sql_logged failed : SQL alter user 'test03'@'localhost' identified by 'rEyuGCI9T1QPGpI' failed : You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'user 'test03'@'localhost' identified by 'rEyuGCI9T1QPGpI'' at line 1 at ../ line 1496.

When I read older posts in the forum I see that this error exists in an earlier version of Virtualmin, see this topic: Error Enabling MySQL Database.

The problem is in the file /usr/share/webmin/virtual-server/ When I replace this file with the version from Virtualmin 6.08 there is no problem.

My system:

Operating system Ubuntu Linux 18.04.4
Perl version 5.026001
MySQL version 10.1.44-MariaDB-0ubuntu0.18.04.1
Webmin version 1.942
Virtualmin version 6.09

Please look into it because I can’t add servers now to Virtualmin.

I had a similar issue after upgrading my CentOS install to MariaDB 10.4 and I fixed it by doing the following:

Backup your current and replace it with the latest version from the github.

mv /usr/libexec/webmin/virtual-server/ /usr/libexec/webmin/virtual-server/
wget -O /usr/libexec/webmin/virtual-server/

I just tried it but this is also not working I get the same error. The strange thing is that it is working in Virtualmin 6.08. When I put back the from that version it is working. So something is changed in the latest version.

Just ran into the same problem myself this morning: we’re using MariaDB hosted on AWS RDS so it’s a remote SQL server. When I restored a server backup this morning I got the same error here and couldn’t restore the DB. The release notes for 6.09 didn’t mention anything about this but I’m assuming it’s a regression to the old issue?

My workaround was to downgrade back to Virtualmin 6.08 for now and restore the backup from there & that worked.
sudo apt-get install webmin-virtual-server=6.08.gpl

I’m afraid I also tried stom’s fix first but it had no impact.

“Glad” that I am not the only one facing this issue. Going back to 6.08 or overwriting the file with the version from 6.08 is a temperaly solutions, but it would be great if one of the devs here can look into it and fix it.
Hopefully it will get somebody’s attention.

Thanks for the heads up.

I made few patches to address this issue. Give it a try.

1 Like

Problem solved here!

Thanks for looking into it! :grinning:

This topic was automatically closed 4 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.