Multiple websites on same VPS

Hi I’m a newbie and I’m not really sure of what I’m doing but:
I have a VPS (vps123.vpsdomain.net) with one IP and what i need is to have all my websites over there.
So I’ve installed Virtualmin on Ubuntu Server 14.04.3 LTS and now I don’t know how to go forward!

Let’s say for example i have 3 php websites projects inside 3 different folders:

1. cookingrecipes
  2. findbestcarforyou
  3. ihavenofantasy

Each website/project should have his own folder, database, his own ftp (like they are 3 different websites, or something like that…)

I would like to move all of them on the VPS

I’m thinking of something like “cookingrecipes.vps123.vpsdomain.net” or “vps123.vpsdomain.net/cookingrecipes” to reach each website.

Can Virtualmin help me to achieve this?

Thanks for your help!

Howdy,

Sure, that’s no problem.

You could always buy 3 domains names, and create 3 different Virtualmin Virtual Servers for that (site1.com, site2.com, site3.com).

Or, you could buy one domain name, and use sub-domains like "domain.com/site1, domain.com/site2, domain.com/site3.

Or, if you don’t wish to buy any domains, you could do what you mentioned above – just reuse your VPS hostname, and use “vps123.vpsdomain.net/cookingrecipes”.

For that, just create a new Virtual Server named “vps123.vpsdomain.net”, and then make a directory named “cookingrecipes” in the public_html folder for that account.

Note that if you do the last option – you can create an FTP account for each one, but technically they’re all part of the same account. One site would be able to access the data from the other sites if they wanted to.

-Eric

Nice! Thanks Eric!

(example)
Well I’ve bought a mydomain.info for only 0.99 on another website

I’ve created the following subdomain:
cookingrecipes.mydomain.info

Created a “Virtual Server” on Virtualmin on my VPS with

“Domain name”->cookingrecipes.mydomain.info

“Administration username”->rootcooking

And now i can see on my VPS the folder “/home/rootcooking/public_html” where i think i’ll need to put all the website files?

So far so good, but now how can I link cookingrecipes.mydomain.info to that folder? Because I don’t even know how to reach that on my VPS “vps123.vpsdomain.net” (vps123.vpsdomain.net/home/rootcooking/public_html is not working)

What am I missing? Thanks for your time!

Howdy,

Sounds like you’re off to a good start there… the nameservers for mydomain,info though, where do they point? That is, where can you configure DNS records for that domain?

If that points to a third party, such as your domain name registrar – that means that you’d need to go into the DNS control panel at your registrar, and create a DNS entry for cookingrecipes.mydomain.info that point to your server.

-Eric

Good! I’ve added a CNAME value to my DNS cookingrecipes.mydomain.info pointing to vps123.vpsdomain.net and it’s working.

So right now my cookingrecipes.mydomain.info it’s going into my “main” VPS (vps123.vpsdomain.net) folder.

We’re close, what I need now is to know how can I reach the Virtual Server I’ve created before on my Virtualmin on my VPS?

For any website you want accessible on your server, I would suggest creating a Virtual Server for it, and put that site within the public_html folder of that Virtual Server. Just like you did for the cookingrecipes.

Then, create a DNS entry for it, and point that to your server.

-Eric

Done! Thank you!