Multiple versions of PHP runs well kudos to Virtualmin developers

I was able to add multiple versions of PHP on my Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, AWS Lightsail VPS. I was delighted to see Virtualmin saw the multiples PHP versions then incorporated it on the different configuration menu settings per hosted domain.

I was forced to do the PHP upgrade after one of my multi-site Wordpress site was throwing up 500 internal errors when I attempted to change permalinks settings after I discovered some of my newly added pages were causing the end of script header errors. It was running on PHP 7.2. After adding the newer version of PHP I was able to EASILY change the version within Virtualmin PHP versions menu. After switching to 7.4 all of the Wordpress errors were gone and the multi-site Wordpress website seems to be running faster :slight_smile:

Some of the commands I added to perform the install. After running these commands I further installed any software updates which became available in Virtualmin package updates.

add-apt-repository ppa:ondrej/php
add-apt-repository ppa:ondrej/apache2
apt-get install php7.4-gd php7.4-curl php7.4-cgi php7.4-fpm php7.4-mysql
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

My Apache2 got upgraded to version 2.4.43. Otherwise, it was causing errors with Wordpress saying it cannot find php-mysql even though I already installed php7.4-mysql. This upgrade was done using the Virtualmin package update as it became available.

The only part I have a question on I now see two versions of PHP-FPM servers running on Virtualmin status. Does Virtualmin automatically make the adjustment which version of PHP-FPM to run per domain depending on the PHP version the website is using?

Thank you for all of the great features I have seen added to Virtualmin in the 12 years I have been using it!

Yes, Virtualmin does that automatically.

Thanks for expressing your satisfaction with Virtualmin. We should all do this occasionally here and not just post our problems and issues with Webmin / Virtualmin. Thanks too for the method you outlined for updating PHP and Apache for Wordpress.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.