I’m not sure, honestly, it’s not something I’ve ever done. And, yes, not having a web feature is gonna choke Virtualmin on restores. We never anticipated not having or wanting the web feature (though in this case it’d make sense to restore everything except web and then enable web after with nginx and modify the settings manually to suit the site in question). There is probably some way to trick it into doing most of the work, but I don’t have a strong sense of how.
I talked to Jamie about it, mostly just to ask him to make the error much more clear that restoring from Apache to nginx is not possible, and he responded that maybe he’d be able to make it possible. So, maybe it’ll show up in limited form in a future version…but, no promises. It’ll never be a 1-to-1 mapping because they’re very different servers and nginx just can’t do a bunch of stuff Apache can, but for a lot of folks, it’ll be sufficient, and at least would get you through the “can’t get there from here” problem you currently face.
One avenue you might try is installing/enabling Apache (disabling nginx), doing all of your restores, and then converting the server to nginx and manually fiddling with the web server bits. I would never suggest this in normal circumstances, since it’s a bunch of manual steps to switch between servers, but it’s probably less work than restoring all the pieces manually.
Jamie said it is expected to work (with obvious limitations based on them being very different web servers with different capabilities), so the problem OP reported is bug-like, but we’d need to get more info to fix it.
I’ve finally found a way to proceed.
So since the exclude-feature didn’t work, I’ve tried dissociating the apache and ssl features from the domain.
This of course causes a downtime, the webpage stops.
At this point I do the backup.
when complete, I associate the features again in prod server.
Then for restoring, I do a normal all-features restore, and this time it works!!!
I’ve the domains imported, but just with no web features activated.
I’ll now proceed with tests, I’ll reactivate web features in test LEMP server and see if I can get the webpages working.